HSA 100 from United Health

G

I am planning to buy HSA 100 from United with a $2200 deductible for a family (2 adults and 2 kids). Any advice on what I should be aware of?. Is this a decent plan from experience?

Thanks!

GR is a great company but a $2200 deductible for a family is overkill. I would never recommend such a plan for my clients.

You have to pay extra for wellness and wait a year before you can use the benefit. Another ripoff.

There are better values out there, depending on your age, general health and where you are located.

In Georgia, Golden Rule would probably be my third recommendation for the HSA. It may be different in your area.

It really doesn't matter which major company you go with too much with HSA. Why not save even more and do it on 80/20. You can take it with a 5k ded. If you have qualified money you can transfer, all the better.

Sometimes you can do better without the HSA component.

I think if it's affordable, $2200 is a good starting point. This way over time (a few years) you have room to raise the deductible upon renewal to keep the costs consistent, while increasing the funds in the HSA to cover the increasing deductible. Plus it's one deductible per family.

Why would you recommended an exposure of $5k (plus more possibly) when after they get hit with a price increase they can only pay it, switch plans or they'll have no where to go except to an even higher exposure/deductible?

Why would you recommended an exposure of $5k (plus more possibly) when after they get hit with a price increase they can only pay it, switch plans or they'll have no where to go except to an even higher exposure/deductible?

Here's why:

2 adults, 2 kids on an HSA100 in a 336 (Tampa zipcode)

$2,200 deductible $591/mo
$5,800 deductible $328/mo

That means they're paying $3,156 per year for a $3,600 lower deductible.

Who's that a good deal for?

Golden Rule. $2,200 is the sucker deductible.

Here's why:

2 adults, 2 kids on an HSA100 in a 336 (Tampa zipcode)

$2,200 deductible $591/mo
$5,800 deductible $328/mo

That means they're paying $3,156 per year for a $3,600 lower deductible.

Who's that a good deal for?

Golden Rule. $2,200 is the sucker deductible.

When I look at deductibles, I take the above into consideration.

M & M you are right on the mark. You get an 'atta boy'. The insurance companies are making the higher deductibles irresistable.

Doesn't Florida have notoriously higher rates than other states?

And I'll repeat, if a lower deductible is a feasible option, it can work out in the client's favor. I have clients that want to avoid the high exposure and don't mind paying for it, when compared to other options.

If it's what the client wants, they can have it. I guess you would feel there's a sucker born every minute.

Back