HSA 100 from United Health

And I'll repeat, if a lower deductible is a feasible option, it can work out in the client's favor. I have clients that want to avoid the high exposure and don't mind paying for it, when compared to other options.

If it's what the client wants, they can have it. I guess you would feel there's a sucker born every minute.

A lower deductible ISN'T a feasible option - that's the point!

You would really suggest someone spend $3,100 to insure $3,600? How is that in the client's favor?

High exposure? Hell, they're paying either way. At least with the higher deductible, if they don't meet it, the money is in their pocket.

With the lower deductible, the money is in the insurance companies pocket (via the premiums) - whether they meet the deductible or not!

This is really "basic" risk management.

I understand, but if the client so chooses, I let them have it, just like when they choose a co pay plan over an HSA.

I tell them what I would get but that doesn't mean a thing at times. That's all.

Thanks for the discussion. I re-evaluated the HSA based on the fact that we are a pretty healthy family and I looked at 2007 where we visited the doctor around 15 times (mostly for the kids ear infections and all!! And also last year was abnormal in terms of Doc's visits. We normally do not go more than 5 to 10 times a year). I now feel that the Co-Pay Select is a better option with a 1500/3000 deductible. It will cost me approx $523 a month for the family. Any opinions if that is a better option? By the way I am in Michigan.

Thanks!

I think you know what I'll say. If you feel that's what you want and can afford it, get it. Your wife will likely be happy that her benefits are easily understood and that her annual is covered, immunization, doc visits and probably feel more secure about prescriptions, etc.

My two cents.:swoon:

Thanks for the discussion. I re-evaluated the HSA based on the fact that we are a pretty healthy family and I looked at 2007 where we visited the doctor around 15 times (mostly for the kids ear infections and all!! And also last year was abnormal in terms of Doc's visits. We normally do not go more than 5 to 10 times a year). I now feel that the Co-Pay Select is a better option with a 1500/3000 deductible. It will cost me approx $523 a month for the family. Any opinions if that is a better option? By the way I am in Michigan.

Thanks!

Hawk, the GR plans in FL and some other states have a 6 month waiting period on inner ear disorders as I am not sure about MI. Multiple ear infections may call for riders (not covered). Check with your agent.

Best,

Mike

Why don't you hire an independent agent to help you make the right decision for you and your family. You have changed your mind once just based on a forum discussion. I'm sure there are some guys on here that work your state. Co pay select might be a good choice but there might be better choices.

I'll conform what Mike said - if your kids had multiple ear infections last year then your chances of getting an exclusion through GR are about 98% however since MI is a non-rider state I have no idea what GR would do. I'd like to think just a rate increase but you have a small chance of a decline for the kids.

You also stated that you had other non-wellness visits. I highly recommend speaking to a local independent agent before you fill out an app.

I'd revisit the HSA since you can at least use tax free dollars to pay for those visits.

Last edited:
Policyholders make emotion based decisions on health insurance and then complain about how health insurance is unaffordable.

This thread is a classic example of throwing away good money after bad.

The agent who just wants a quick sale will simply agree with their client and write up the Copay Select 1500 and move on without ever having established a long lasting client relationship.

I don't work in MI, but I suspect the premium rate up on a child is insufficient to cover the risk, so the most likely result is . . . a decline.

If Hawk has an agent they are not much of one since Hawk has come here looking for advice.

The issue with GR is prescreen is out the window. They are not going to tell you that a condition is likely a decline unless it's listed as a declined condition in their UW Guide. It's a roll the dice situation.

If I had to guess - and it's just a guess - I'm with Somarco and the kids will be removed from the policy if they had more than one ear infection last year since again, MI is a non-rider state.

I'm not a MI expert however we have plenty of MI agents here. I don't think you're looking at GR for this - I'd look possibly at Aetna as long as you have creditable coverage.

Does anyone have another recommendation? Unicare, Humana, Celtic, Aetna & Blue Cross are all available in MI and of course, every one's fave Assurant.

Back