Hsa Question

At the point at which the WHOLE family reaches the deductible, the plan pays the rest if it is a 100% plan

Unless the plan is an embedded deductible.

why would anyone want to tie up money in a HSA account is beyond me.....

Gee, maybe for paying expenses not covered by Medicare.

Or paying LTC expenses.

Folks do incur OOP medical expenses after age 65.

The hilarious part is agents tell me they don't sell HSAs because they're confusing to clients. Really....

"Ok Jim, let me explain your PPO plan. First, you have a $35 copay to see a doctor but if you need lab testing in-office then you need to meet your coinsurance which is 20%, not deductible. However, if you need outpatient testing then you need to meet your dectible and the coinsurance, which is 80/20. If you need medication it's $15 for generic with no deductible, but name brand has a seperate $150 deductible and $30 copay for tier 1. Now tier 2 will be $60 and tier 3 will be $90. Now, the ER has a $100 admission fee that's waived if you're admitted, then it's your deductible plus coinsurance...."

Yeah...copay plans are easy

The hilarious part is agents tell me they don't sell HSAs because they're confusing to clients. Really....

"Ok Jim, let me explain your PPO plan. First, you have a $35 copay to see a doctor but if you need lab testing in-office then you need to meet your coinsurance which is 20%, not deductible. However, if you need outpatient testing then you need to meet your dectible and the coinsurance, which is 80/20. If you need medication it's $15 for generic with no deductible, but name brand has a seperate $150 deductible and $30 copay for tier 1. Now tier 2 will be $60 and tier 3 will be $90. Now, the ER has a $100 admission fee that's waived if you're admitted, then it's your deductible plus coinsurance...." Yeah...copay plans are easy

Well said! :yes: Another beauty of the HSA is until you reach your deductible limit which in my case is $5,000 they don't pay anything. Therefore there is no arguing back and forth about what they should be paying. When we used a co-pay co-insurance plan this was always a hassle because invariably there would be something they should pay on that they didn't. Then you had to go back and forth with the insurance company. Now it is clean cut for me. I pay everything up to $5,000 and they pay everything above that amount period. Last year I fully funded my HSA but we paid out less than $500 total.

Back