HSA's Investments

J.R.

Guru
1000 Post Club
Texas
I think it would be beneficial to get a dialog going pertaining to recommending HSA's and to see how the more seasoned indies approach this topic.

When you sell a HSA do you typically recommend that the client set-up the account with the insurance carrier or an outside bank?

Do you think a client would be better to use the HSA in a more aggressive investment approach via stocks and/or bonds or should they rely upon the minimum return offered by insurance companies?

Well this will be a fight:-)

HSAs are not an investment in my opinion. The health plan picks up 100% of all expenses after the deductible - so you only need to worry about funding the account portion up to your deductible.

Saying that, you can use the money for other things like vision and dental. Are you using $20,000 of vision and dental? Then why have $20,000 in your HSA?

You don't want to be in a situation where you'll incur a penality if you need to money. If you really want to invest then don't do it with the narrow options a HSA administrator gives you.

You can also back-fund HSAs. All that means is if you only have $3,000 in the account but get hit with $7,000 of eligible expenses you can pay the $4,000 with a personal check, then back-fund the HSA to take the deduction. That's allowed. Since that's allowed I need no reason for clients to fund their account year after year - eventually accruing $20,000 - $50,000? Doesn't make any sense.

john_petrowski said:
Well this will be a fight:-)

HSAs are not an investment in my opinion. The health plan picks up 100% of all expenses after the deductible - so you only need to worry about funding the account portion up to your deductible.

Saying that, you can use the money for other things like vision and dental. Are you using $20,000 of vision and dental? Then why have $20,000 in your HSA?

You don't want to be in a situation where you'll incur a penality if you need to money. If you really want to invest then don't do it with the narrow options a HSA administrator gives you.

You can also back-fund HSAs. All that means is if you only have $3,000 in the account but get hit with $7,000 of eligible expenses you can pay the $4,000 with a personal check, then back-fund the HSA to take the deduction. That's allowed. Since that's allowed I need no reason for clients to fund their account year after year - eventually accruing $20,000 - $50,000? Doesn't make any sense.

So based on your recommendations a client should fund the account to their OOP max and use the remaining savings in future years to invest in other avenues?

Ok so is it better to use a bank or the insurance company to open an HSA account? I know Unicare used Chase bank, but now they just tell us to find our own bank because they found out that chase was charging some higher than normal fees for the account!!

Comment and Question

For HSAs, I recommend my clients do it with BofA or Wells here in CA as both banks will do the HSA account and most if not all of my HSA clients have accounts with one of them (plus they are very plentiful here so no need to travel to great a distance).

That being said, Blue Cross CA (rumor has it) which would include Unicare since it is their's under Wellpoint, may be providing Chase with upfront information on HSA client subscribers. I have not had this happen yet, but have read I believe on NAHUnet that Chase has contacted HSA subscribers to set up accounts and have all of the private information on the client ahead of time. Can anyone confirm this has happened to them??

Dave
www.davefluker.com

That being said, Blue Cross CA (rumor has it) which would include Unicare since it is their's under Wellpoint, may be providing Chase with upfront information on HSA client subscribers. I have not had this happen yet, but have read I believe on NAHUnet that Chase has contacted HSA subscribers to set up accounts and have all of the private information on the client ahead of time. Can anyone confirm this has happened to them??

That doesn't seem right...

Carriers do not offer the HSA. That is only available through banks. Some carriers have a working relationship with banks for the HSA and make the admin a bit easier. Some, like UHC, own a bank (Exante) and can give the consumer a bit more flexibility.

But it is up to the consumer to decide which bank to use for their HSA.

Now that Lumenos is part of the Wellpoint/Anthem family I would imagine Blue clients would be encouraged to use them (Lumenos).

Lumenos

We are getting several new IFP and Group Lumenos plans in CA starting 4/1 through Blue Cross CA. Nifty ideas on some of them including earning dollars for healthy endeavors.

I generally allow my clients to choose their HSA bank, but was a bit concerned hearing that they may have been providing info to Chase. Again, I have no first hand of that except what I saw via NAHU site.

Dave
www.davefluker.com

Blue Shield of California has a working relationship with Wells. However I tell people to look into opening their HSAs with the Patelco Credit Union as they have the highest interest rate and the lowest yearly fees that I've found.

Al

Back