HSA's

John,

If there is only one person on the policy then what do you do for an HSA plan with Assurant? Would you still go with the one deductible? Or the Saveright?

The person who invented the One Deductible for Assurant should get a raise, the corner office, and Pam Anderson as his personal secretary. Unless you are on several meds, One Deductible, with or without the HSA is the best that's out there.

I always sell the 100% plan. Makes it nice and simple. That's the way the people like their health insurance.

As far as HSA with groups, it's on an individual basis. Employees will always gripe about the loss of the $30 copay. As they say in Russia, toughky shitzky.

Since I only work with small employers, I cannot speak on behalf of mid to large size companies. I've noticed a 50/50 split. If there are health issues with one of their employees (several HBP meds, etc.), then they prefer the copay. If it's a healthy group, most go with HSA's, and fully understand that they are going to pay the negotiated rate, and not a flat rate. Their okay with it.

Just because HSA's are new, and touted by the President, and our very own Clark Howard, that doesn't mean they are for every one or every business.

But, when you talk HSA (individual/family) plans; for me, it's Assurant's One Deductible - all day long.

Copays foster abuse which leads to higher rates for everyone. I personally know people who live at the doctor's office. They go for every ache and pain. They'll take their kids for a 100 fever when they should have gone to Rite Aid.

You know darned well when you need medical attention. The HSA makes you think "do I REALLY need to see a doctor today?"

I'm a fan of wellness checks to catch anything early but aside from that medical care in this country is horribly abused. I was in a doctor's office last week with one of my reps to help him deliver quotes. There must have been at least 30 people in the waiting room. My guess would be 26 of them didn't need to be there.

Most likely these are people on company "$10 copays" plans looking for time off work or for $10 they can afford to be hypocontriacts. Put them on a HSA and watch that waiting room clear out.

When I go to sell a HSA I'll say things like:

"Ok, so you only saw the doctor twice last year. That's great - you clearly don't abuse the system. I'm assuming you don't want to pay for people who do."

I just got tires on my car - paid over $500 total. Shouldn't car insurance pay for that?

I have a bunch of groups with HRA and HSA plans and I have seen two types. Those with well educated employees, that rarely bother us, and those that needed more help in the beginning. However, after a few months, everyone is happy. We offer individual consultations to show exactly how each employee will be better off with the new plan. We often secure a commitment from the company that they will designate 10% of the savings to take care of any employees that are negatively effected. (We build it in to the price and then explain the earmark)

That article seemed silly to me. They may bug the HR director for the first few months, but they will save money in perpetuity. From a long term perspective, it is a well wothwhile investment.

Additionally, after you are a year or two into the plan, and people have carryover dollars, they really love it.

Is anyone offering the Lumenos plans? Wellpoint is opening them up, I believe, in all of their states. Traditional HSA plans with a twist. There is unlimited coverage for all preventive care visits. Annual physicals, pap & mammograms, immunizations etc.

I think HSA are the greatest invention since the rear wheel drive German sports car...or Beer Hats!

Seriously though, if everyone purchased this type of coverage, only insuring against the things that could have severe financial impact, think about how much rates for care would come down in the long run. More people buying into the pool plus no insane amount of nuisance claims to pay for administration on. Then you factor in the lower premium AND tax savings, it's a total win/win.

I love the Assurant One Deductible HSA plan, sell a good deal of that. However, for folks over 50 in good health with very limited budgets(or anyone with very low caps on what they can afford) I don't think the Right Start HSA PPO is that horrific. At least in CT, it has no annual cap like the normal Right Start plan does, only a cap for Outpatient (and I have only sold the 25K) and the rates are sometimes insanely cheap compared to OD or other HSA plans. If you go with the 5100 deductible it's a 2 year rate lock and on a 60+ year old guy with a semi-unrealistic budget, I think it's far better than nothing. Obviously it would be great if the One Deductible plan was priced lower though as that plan rules.

Is anyone offering the Lumenos plans? Wellpoint is opening them up, I believe, in all of their states. Traditional HSA plans with a twist. There is unlimited coverage for all preventive care visits. Annual physicals, pap & mammograms, immunizations etc.

Yes, this is another plan I sell a good deal of as well...Anthem customers are always happy ones from my experience.

Back