Huge thanks, and a newbie

timmybright

Expert
I want to start off this post with a huge thank you to all of the amazing seasoned people (and a lot of the new people) on this board. The advice I've been reading has already been instrumental to convincing me that this is the field I want to be in. I've finished my pre-licensing course here in NY, and am studying right now for the final exam and state exam.

My main question is this - I currently have a really decent paying non-sales jobs (I've been in sales my entire life, but I needed a 6 month break from it to reset). I'm concerned about the startup. I haven't really started looking for who I'm going to contract with. I know that I'll be a huge asset to whoever I do contract with because I've been a top dog salesperson at most of the sales jobs I've ever had. I was even mildly successful in a network marketing company (belive it or not!!!).

Do you think it would be wise to start off selling insurance part time nights and weekends while I'm still working my full time job... or is it better to jump in with both feet and hit the ground running? I only have about a half month of expenses set aside right now, but I am currently working a part time job outside of my full time that supplements my income.

Suggestions? Advice? You guys (and gals) are awesome! Thank you!

When I lived there-I started out in NY working for Mutual of Omaha, I was in the mid-hudson valley area. I don't know where you are in NY but going with a big company like Mutual is good to get you some training. Most of these big companies have new agent financing or bonuses, to get you through the rough start.

Thanks for being the first to reply.

I'm actually in Upstate New York (Syracuse to be exact). We're a smaller city. I've had a few people approach me about appointment. I'm having a hard time weeding through the people who are just salesmen trying to get me to work for them through tons of false promises, and people who have legitimate opportunities.

So you're advocating becoming a captive agent to start out?

Yes, I would actually advocate you checking into the Syracuse office of Mutual of Omaha. I think I remember an office being up there. We had a guy in my office from up there- I liked him, good guy. I think he moved back up there. Anywho, that is what I would recommend, because of the training. I lived out there 20 years ago, so I am not really up on which companies are out there hiring.

They had a big Prudential presence at the time, in NY, and maybe a little bit of John Hancock, both of these had big career shops back then, but that was 20 years ago. Maybe New York Life may be good now? Or the New England or Northwest Mutual? I just really have no idea who is the big career building shop right now, becuase I've been gone for 20 years. Look around, get somebody to train you for sure. NY has less licensed companies than most states, because of strict laws.

Oh yeah, and as far as working part time, a lot of career shops are going to want you to jump in full time with them, and quit your part time job. They are going to put effort into training you so they want all your time. Just how it goes. So, you may wish to be a broker for a while if you must remain part time elsewhere. It's up to you, but you should be able to jump into insurance full time and make more $$$ than you would have at a part time job. Should be able to, with some effort and training.

Last edited:
Going captive means coming up with a list of everyone you know and that is how you start. After that, you're on your own. You can start independent with something like Final Expense because there are agencies generating leads and they give them out and advance on submission so you'll have money quickly. You can sell term insurance on the phone with internet leads at night and weekends. Enroll them on the phone. You can enroll seniors in Medicare plans - they're simple. I just received an email about accident plans for $100k for $22 mo with 100% return of premium after 20 years. They take fireman,policemen and pay 100% and 2% renewal. I suppose you could visit the fire stations and ask them about it. One agent ended up with the whole city government on list bill.

Going captive means coming up with a list of everyone you know and that is how you start. After that, you're on your own. You can start independent with something like Final Expense because there are agencies generating leads and they give them out and advance on submission so you'll have money quickly. You can sell term insurance on the phone with internet leads at night and weekends. Enroll them on the phone. You can enroll seniors in Medicare plans - they're simple. I just received an email about accident plans for $100k for $22 mo with 100% return of premium after 20 years. They take fireman,policemen and pay 100% and 2% renewal. I suppose you could visit the fire stations and ask them about it. One agent ended up with the whole city government on list bill.

Which Company is offering this Plan?

When I lived there-I started out in NY working for Mutual of Omaha, I was in the mid-hudson valley area. I don't know where you are in NY but going with a big company like Mutual is good to get you some training. Most of these big companies have new agent financing or bonuses, to get you through the rough start.

What town did you live in? I grew up in Poughkeepsie.

Back