Humana---after Aetna?

Gulfman

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi Friends,

I spoke with Humana a few months back about selling their Advantage Plans this season in S.Fla. HOWEVER, not SURE what the status is with them since the announcement of Aetna purchasing them.

• Anyone Contracted with Humana presently?
  • If so, what is the status of the transition?
  • Will Aetna merely step into the boots of Humana?
  • There was a rumor of Humana agents jumping ship and moving to United Health---but haven't verified this.

Thanks for your constructive input...

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

I spoke with Humana a few months back about selling their Advantage Plans this season in S.Fla. HOWEVER, not SURE what the status is with them since the announcement of Aetna purchasing them.

Thanks for any constructive input...

We have heard the contract could go either way. One contract is friendlier to the FMO's than the other so you never know. I still think the products will be offered separately but the contract with the agent will be under one umbrella. We are recommending agents get contracted with both that way there is no hiccup if and when the merger happens. It is still a ways away after all. In Florida, we recommend Coventry( Aetna), Humana, and United Healthcare with a few smaller players in the mix.

We have heard the contract could go either way. One contract is friendlier to the FMO's than the other so you never know. I still think the products will be offered separately but the contract with the agent will be under one umbrella. We are recommending agents get contracted with both that way there is no hiccup if and when the merger happens. It is still a ways away after all. In Florida, we recommend Coventry( Aetna), Humana, and United Healthcare with a few smaller players in the mix.

thanks Jimmy,...

Since Coventy is ALSO OWNED by Aetna, ANY IDEA on how that will play out in offerings Humana and Coventry and Medicare Advantage Plans?

thanks Jimmy,...

Since Coventy is ALSO OWNED by Aetna, ANY IDEA on how that will play out in offerings Humana and Coventry and Medicare Advantage Plans?

It is so up in the air, nobody really knows. As I said, having both contracts is the key. Both offer good plans in the MAPD market depending on where you are. We find Humana to have better overall offerings nationwide, but in Florida, that might not be the case. I hope they leave them separate.

Aetna has kept Aetna where they are dominant and likewise with Coventry.
In some counties you have Coventry and in some you have Aetna.
With Humana now, we will have to watch and see.
Humana and Coventry are dominant in South Florida, with the other major player being UHC.

Hi Friends,

• There was a rumor of Humana agents jumping ship and moving to United Health---but haven't verified this.

Thanks for your constructive input...

Humana has already shared an overview of their MAPD plans for 2016, it is pretty much status quo-one of the PPO plans is going from a $43 per month premium to $55 (I think) other than that 2016 is just an extension of 2015.

If and when the Aetna merger takes place there will probably be some changes but Humana is well entrenched in South Florida, it wouldn't make much sense for Aetna to buy the brand for $37B and then gut it.

Back