Humana Appointment Taking Forever!

The Butler

I filled out the forms through a GA back in June and still have not been appointed by Humana. I am told that I show up as "received" but that is all the GA can tell me until I am actually appointed. Is this normal?

I don't think Humana is in any hurry to enroll new agents. My GA called Humana directly last week to request a contract and they told him that it would be at least 4 to 6 weeks before the contract would be e-mailed to him.

The one agent in our office who came to the brokerage already licensed with Humana says that the company's underwriting is purring along normally, but there are some major changes coming in their overall strategy for gathering new customers. He says Humana is planning on cutting commissions and raising premiums quite a bit for 1/1/2011. Their overall strategy includes more than this, but the company is not divulging any further information at this time.

-AC

I was told it would take 4-6 weeks to be appointed with Humana, and it's now been 8 weeks. I want to wait until all my appointments are in before I start selling, but it just seems to take forever with Humana.

I believe Humana only starts the appointment process on the 1st of every month. That means if you applied to get appointed in the 5th, you have 3 weeks before the process even begins, then I believe it takes around a month.

Our agency owner spoke with Humana this morning regarding getting appointed. He was told that due to the MLR restrictions, commissions will be cut 50% across the board on January 1st, 2011. Now, he's not so enthusiastic about getting appointed.

-AC

Back