Humana Captive Agents

bpenn9

Guru
100+ Post Club
Utah
As a former Humana captive agent I am curious as to who else is getting ready to leave and go independent. I made the jump last August after nearly a 6 year run. Hard move to make leaving the great pay and great benefits behind but I couldn't be happier.

Pay was good. Salary, comissions, renewals all add up to about 100K for anyone in a decent market and been there for a couple years. Not worth your freedom and peace of mind though.

I've got a friend who lives a few miles from me who is one of the top 5 captive Humana agents in TN. He earns about 60k per yr in base pay, with his $6 per mth renewals (he has about 1000 on the books) and new business commissions makes well over $150k every year. He doesn't get a true-up 2nd half on new to advantage enrollees, and his $6 per mth renewals truly suck, but they feed him all the leads he can run. They also make him sell their anicillary products and are very strict with the quotas on those products (dental, etc). He told me he was about out of relatives to sell them to, and sold himself one also.

He said if he leaves he is coming to sell with me, which sounds fine because the guy can produce. I'll bet he'd make double that if he was indy, had leads and had more products to offer. Captive sucks, I'm so glad I've always been independent.

As a previous real estate broker, I am waaaaay to used to looking out for someone's best interests in my dealings with people. I couldn't begin to imagine what it would feel like to be a captive agent.

I couldn't do it.

I've got a friend who lives a few miles from me who is one of the top 5 captive Humana agents in TN. He earns about 60k per yr in base pay, with his $6 per mth renewals (he has about 1000 on the books) and new business commissions makes well over $150k every year. He doesn't get a true-up 2nd half on new to advantage enrollees, and his $6 per mth renewals truly suck, but they feed him all the leads he can run. They also make him sell their anicillary products and are very strict with the quotas on those products (dental, etc). He told me he was about out of relatives to sell them to, and sold himself one also.

He said if he leaves he is coming to sell with me, which sounds fine because the guy can produce. I'll bet he'd make double that if he was indy, had leads and had more products to offer. Captive sucks, I'm so glad I've always been independent.

You're talking about a regular Humana employee? Right? Or are you talking about a meca?

I started my senior carrier as a Humana captive agent. Still have friend that are there. Pay and benefits are decent.

The challenge is, what jacobtn said, is they want production with other products.

When the KC office contracted with NGL for FE, we were required to sell 4 FE policies right off the bat. Not a big deal, but many agents had never sold anything but MA plans. The training was intense, as they handed out brochures & apps and said go get 'em.

Many agents are "comfortable" there, but every time I talk to them, they complain, and complain...

Then there is the office politics...don't miss that!

I started my senior carrier as a Humana captive agent. Still have friend that are there. Pay and benefits are decent.

The challenge is, what jacobtn said, is they want production with other products.

When the KC office contracted with NGL for FE, we were required to sell 4 FE policies right off the bat. Not a big deal, but many agents had never sold anything but MA plans. The training was intense, as they handed out brochures & apps and said go get 'em.

Many agents are "comfortable" there, but every time I talk to them, they complain, and complain...

Then there is the office politics...don't miss that!

That sounds about right! I hear nothing but complaints from those that are still there. What they are "comfortable" with are the leads and the comp. I would say that's about it. I know agents chomping at the bit to go indy. It is a tough decision to make when you are pulling in well over 100K though. I say it would be one step backward and three forward for most that would leave.

Back