Humana, Walmart and Rx Part D

SeniorsRock

I read that Walmart is partnering with Humana to offer D plans for half the regular cost. Anyone selling this? what are they paying?

Re: Humana and Walmart and Rx Part D

I read that Walmart is partnering with Humana to offer D plans for half the regular cost. Anyone selling this? what are they paying?

They are paying the same as everyone else...its still regulated by CMS.

I never sell D's. Anyone know the plan/formulary, where they can say whether it's worth the savings?

It gets the walmart list drugs at half off and in my zip its 14.80 a month, making it the cheapest plan, along with 0$ copay mail order generics.

I helped form a team in late 2005 to sit in Wal-Marts and Sam Clubs to sell the 2006 Humana part D & MAPD products. Even then, when it first came out and folks were excited about it, it wasn't a huge money maker. It did offer the ability to leverage contacts to sell other products (CMS regulations are different today). The worst part was dealing with Humana agent support and customer service - completely inept. They lost about 25% of our submitted applications, you'd have to wait 1-2 hours to get someone on the phone to let you know they have no record of it (and this was after 3+ weeks of waiting for their cards) and then you'd have to re-write it. They hated independent agents. We were an unfortunate necessary evil to them. They preached constantly about ethics but seem to have just about the worst ethics in the business (at least in my experience). When we did sell a part D plan they would call out on the client and try to convert them to an MAPD without you knowing and if they switched you would not get credit for the original sale. The worst part is we worked through an FMO that didn't pay us about a third of the commissions they owed us because they claimed Humana never paid them.

I have pure disgust for Humana now.

I would say definitely avoid this "opportunity".

Last edited:
I'm not crazy about dealing with Humana either. Seems like they have 100 different phone numbers and so many different products and so many different departments. Someone needs to preach the KISS rule to Humana.

We're finally not representing any part D's this year. Think about the freedom that represents. No service follow up when a drug isn't covered. No SOA's. No chance of being secret shopped for a $20/year commission.

"Here's the plan that the MEDICARE website says is cheapest for 2011."

G.Gordon: How many seniors do you see walk away from you because you can't write the whole dirty deal : Supplement AND the part D Rx plan? Serious question.....Who thinks getting appointed with 1-3 Part D Rx plans to sell is worth it? Anybody think its worth it to write the entire thing and not risk losing business to somebody else just because you have made a business decision to not do Part D? Seniors who don't get it may accuse you of being inept if you don't do Part D.

G.Gordon: How many seniors do you see walk away from you because you can't write the whole dirty deal : Supplement AND the part D Rx plan? Serious question.....Who thinks getting appointed with 1-3 Part D Rx plans to sell is worth it? Anybody think its worth it to write the entire thing and not risk losing business to somebody else just because you have made a business decision to not do Part D? Seniors who don't get it may accuse you of being inept if you don't do Part D.

I'm not G.Gordon but I'm going to bet he comes back and says if the Senior can't get it, they are the type of client he doesn't want anyway...They will be the ones to constantly call him about their drug plan wanting to know why the formulary covers a Generic but not the name brand drug he wants to take etc all for a $20-27 sale maybe twice that if their brand new to Part d and that second check hits in May of next year.

Back