I Am a New Agent who Will Offer Medicare Supplements. I Am Looking for Best Practices for Overall Su

raybia

Expert
I don't want to reinvent the wheel and I want to get out of the gate as quickly as possible so I thought I would come back here as a starting point.

I will be starting a new job offering medicare supplements in a couple of week here in Illinois and I am looking for suggestions of best practices for new agents in their 1st year or 2 in order to maximize my overall success in this part of the business.

I want to make sure that I have a solid daily and weekly plan in place of good effective habits. I have a lot of ideas like using social media, community outreach efforts like visiting churches to set up presentations, etc. but I also don't want to get too overzealous and end up getting bogged down with the wrong activities.

I have the motivation but I know I will need to build up my discipline and overall know how in order to make the transition from working for an employer to working for myself.

Any advise would greatly be appreciated! Thank!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also would it be worthwhile and the cost to purchase Frank Stastny's Medicare training?

Last edited:
As has been said before.. what Frank did years ago, probably cannot be duplicated with the DNC list and all that.. There are newer ways to be a med supps master.. all via phone is also an option,
And I did purchase Frank' s training as well.

Last edited:
Social media with the Medicare crowd is a gigantic waste of time. The great majority aren't there yet. Someday, but not now.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense. Should I use both Facebook and Linkedin to inform family, friends and business/community connections of my new role as a way to get referrals?
As has been said before.. what Frank did years ago, probably cannot be duplicated with the DNC list and all that.. There are newer ways to be a med supps master.. all via phone is also an option,
And I did purchase Frank' s training as well.

Not able to PM

[email protected]

Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah I suppose that makes sense. Should I use both Facebook and Linkedin to inform family, friends and business/community connections of my new role as a way to get referrals?

Not able to PM

[email protected]

Thanks

Guess it depends on the age of your family. My friends are young and I rarely if ever post anything about what I do for work on there.
I'd focus more time on cold calling and direct mail.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel and I want to get out of the gate as quickly as possible so I thought I would come back here as a starting point.

I will be starting a new job offering medicare supplements in a couple of week here in Illinois and I am looking for suggestions of best practices for new agents in their 1st year or 2 in order to maximize my overall success in this part of the business.

I want to make sure that I have a solid daily and weekly plan in place of good effective habits. I have a lot of ideas like using social media, community outreach efforts like visiting churches to set up presentations, etc. but I also don't want to get too overzealous and end up getting bogged down with the wrong activities.

I have the motivation but I know I will need to build up my discipline and overall know how in order to make the transition from working for an employer to working for myself.

Any advise would greatly be appreciated! Thank!
Also would it be worthwhile and the cost to purchase Frank Stastny's Medicare training?

If you are in an area where there are decent MA plans available I would be prepared to compliantly offer those as as well as PDP - especially PDP because most seniors will ask you about that.

If I had to start over today and still lived in a big city where there are several MA plans I would take a job at one of the big carriers such as Humana for a couple of years and build your book of business and contacts then go independent.

CMS rules say you can't cold call your Med supp clients to sell MA or PDP but once you have enrolled them in a PDP or MA plan you can then cold them to sell any Medicare health plan

Guess it depends on the age of your family. My friends are young and I rarely if ever post anything about what I do for work on there.
I'd focus more time on cold calling and direct mail.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Any suggestions for daily best practices regards sales production, time management, organization, and marketing?

Last edited:
If you are in an area where there are decent MA plans available I would be prepared to compliantly offer those as as well as PDP - especially PDP because most seniors will ask you about that.

If I had to start over today and still lived in a big city where there are several MA plans I would take a job at one of the big carriers such as Humana for a couple of years and build your book of business and contacts then go independent.

CMS rules say you can't cold call your Med supp clients to sell MA or PDP but once you have enrolled them in a PDP or MA plan you can then cold them to sell any Medicare health plan

I agree. This is good stuff. Do it.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Any suggestions for daily best practices regards sales production, time management, organization, and marketing?

Just get out there in front of people. All that other stuff will come later

Back