I Am Thinking About Becoming Allstate Agent

I really have the drive to become successful which is instilled within me. I have always exceeded expectations and hopefully that will carry over into becoming an agent.

I wanted to start off with Allstate because of the support, training, and branding.

I am used to the corporate culture, so having to do a few things that Allstate requires is not an issue for me.

It sounds like you have made up your mind even though you asked for opinions. I can understand the reasoning behind going captive in some states, but not in Florida.

I really have the drive to become successful which is instilled within me. I have always exceeded expectations and hopefully that will carry over into becoming an agent.

I wanted to start off with Allstate because of the support, training, and branding.

I am used to the corporate culture, so having to do a few things that Allstate requires is not an issue for me.

Your answer seem to indicate that you made your mind up before asking the question. Why bother even asking?

Last edited:

This is exactly the type of thinking that the two largest captive companies look for to fuel their new agent meat grinders. These days most make it out scarred and battle damaged, or get ground into financial dust.

ALI my friend....A-L-I. Agency Loyalty Index. Survey's sent at random to your clients. Only 3 questions impact your agency & will have you terminated. If you're not on pace for your "expected result" after 6 months, you better get on pace by the end of the calendar year or you have 90 days to sell. Period....and here they are

1.) How likely are you to renew
2.) How like are you to refer
3.) How satisfied are you with your agency

They answer 1-5. If they answer a 5, you get +1. Anything else is -1. If you're below 60% ALI, you have 6 months to get above or your out. But guess what? You had a client who just had a rate increase, or they had a hit & run and had to pay their deductible, or they added a car with only 1 billing opportunity left before renewal and the pro-rated increase in premium was unexpected, or they called the 1-800 goof's and couldn't get anything done, or their claim adjuster was a total jerk, or they "thought" they should have gotten more for their claim, or any variety of common concerns to consumers...The consumer cannot separate those problems from YOU, and it will reflect on your ALI.

Remember, people are MUCH more likely to fill out surveys if they're pissed.

We have 2 agencies and the phones are tied together with VOIP. Same staff servicing everybody. One agency is at 80% and the other is at 67%. Makes no sense, period.

Listen to me sir, alas I speak from experience as our agency is consistently top 2% in the company. RUN! RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK EVER.

You all just wait and see how many Allstate agents are gone by 2012. The new president of Allstate suggested 20% up front and 2% renewal. Word is it's dropping to 8/8 and based off a sliding scale can max out at 11/11, although an overwhelming majoirty will fall into 4/4. Please, please please please slap whatever manager is spewing b.s. to you, spit in his face and thank the good lord you haven't signed up.
:no:

A word from the experienced to anyone considering this. Did you hear the word? RUN!

You all just wait and see how many Allstate agents are gone by 2012. The new president of Allstate suggested 20% up front and 2% renewal. Word is it's dropping to 8/8 and based off a sliding scale can max out at 11/11, although an overwhelming majoirty will fall into 4/4. Please, please please please slap whatever manager is spewing b.s. to you, spit in his face and thank the good lord you haven't signed up.
:no:[/quote]

If you think this can't happen, you're wrong, just look at the largest player in the industry, SF and their current contract, as it pays exactly that. Where do you think Allstate came up with those commission targets, hmm, I wonder......

:no:

How does Allstate plan to keep any agents at 4/4 and even 8/8? If anything the captives should pay more than the indpendent agents to keep some of the best talent from leaving.

Just signed up to this message board.

New to the site, but not to insurance.

Can someone explain the 4/4 and 8/8 to me?

Also, I've read the excerpts of :

"The Rest of the Story"
"Memoirs of a Scratch Agency"
"Jack's Story"
and "it Begins with the Interview".

I realize other carries may/may not share the same problems as Allstate, but is there anything more recent (the stories were in 2006 and 2007) with regard to Allstate correcting these issues?

Has the climate gotten better for the EA's?

TIA

Read the last issue of ExclusiveFocus and I think you will see the answer:

http://www.napaausa.org/Upload/EF%20Winter%2010.pdf

How encouraging are those topics? Here is the NAPAA President's words to non-members: "Pull your head out of the sand and take a stand". Doesn't sound promising to me and this is the insiders talking.

Last edited:
Back