I Had an Accident (sigh)

Tim Resnick

Super Genius
Dayum it....i got into an accident. I bumped another car in a parking lot and damaged her bumper. I don't have full coverage on this vehicle as its my second car THAT i hardly drive.

However, i am honest and told the lady who wasn't even there at the time, i damaged her car. We exchanged insurance info. (sigh). All this happened when a hurricane was approaching our area in Fla.

(feeling horrible as i have a perfect driving record and no accidents for years).

What can i expect now?

PS. No police report was written, nor accident report. I assume she will contact her insurance company and they will contact mine.

Anyone know the best way to handle this?

(its too late to negotiate a pay out to her before insurance companies are notified).

ughh

Dayum it....i got into an accident. I bumped another car in a parking lot and damaged her bumper. I don't have full coverage on this vehicle as its my second car THAT i hardly drive.

However, i am honest and told the lady who wasn't even there at the time, i damaged her car. We exchanged insurance info. (sigh). All this happened when a hurricane was approaching our area in Fla.

(feeling horrible as i have a perfect driving record and no accidents for years).

What can i expect now?

PS. No police report was written, nor accident report. I assume she will contact her insurance company and they will contact mine.

(its too late to negotiate a pay out to her before insurance companies are notified).

ughh

At fault accident on your part, may make your rate go up a tiny bit. Who is your insurance company? If its less than a 1000 bucks to fix her car, you may be ok with the rates. Also, do you have accident forgiveness of any sort?

What can i expect now?

ughh

Wait and see if she reports it and how much. Then figure out if the amount is over your specific carriers accident threshold. Depending on who you're with. They MIGHT let you pay the difference to bring the damage paid below the threshold.

What can i expect now?

ughh

Ehh...Dude.

You're in Florida Right?

Ok...so if you are in Florida, you already "pay" for property damage (its a required min. in Fla.). So, you already pay for PIP and property damage...and are therefore covered.

Chances are you are covered for 10k in property damage. If you just damaged her bumper, your coverage will take care of the damage. Although your premium will probably go up.

If people stopped having accidents I'd be out of a job! No big deal here especially if you have an otherwise claims-free record. Congrats on not being a scumbag and taking off on the lady who's car you hit. Talk to your agent and get confirmation that you're going to be ok here.

Ehh...Dude.

You're in Florida Right?

Ok...so if you are in Florida, you already "pay" for property damage (its a required min. in Fla.). So, you already pay for PIP and property damage...and are therefore covered.

Chances are you are covered for 10k in property damage. If you just damaged her bumper, your coverage will take care of the damage. Although your premium will probably go up.

Licensed P&C Florida agent reporting in here, confirming all this.
Your policy will cover the damage to her vehicle, you'll have an at-fault accident on your record now, may make rates jump a bit for 3 years (typical surcharge window). It'll suck a little, but remember the extra premium you pay for a few years is still probably less than if you had to front the costs to fix her vehicle yourself anyway.

As another said in this thread, I commend you for doing the responsible thing and exchanging info even though it would've been easy to just drive off.

Back