I Hate Selling Health Insurance

kolyaboo

I'm contracted w/Aetna, Assurant and UHC. I'm in TX, but hold licenses in other states. I just started like 2 months ago but I simply hate it. And it is getting SO expensive; in this economy people simply don't have the $$ or don't want to spend it. I feel I might as well be selling cars or houses; at least people will see something for the $$ they are spending.

I used to sell life and accident insurance (captive). I would like to go back, not captive. Any suggestions of who I should go through? And for those of you that are successfully making a living selling health, any words of wisdom for a health insurance newb?

If you don't like selling health then don't. Who were you captive with before and for how long?

I'm contracted w/Aetna, Assurant and UHC. I'm in TX, but hold licenses in other states. I just started like 2 months ago but I simply hate it. And it is getting SO expensive; in this economy people simply don't have the $$ or don't want to spend it. I feel I might as well be selling cars or houses; at least people will see something for the $$ they are spending. I used to sell life and accident insurance (captive). I would like to go back, not captive. Any suggestions of who I should go through? And for those of you that are successfully making a living selling health, any words of wisdom for a health insurance newb?

If you hate selling it, then do something else for sure. Life's to short. Best of luck.

In this economy it's better to have a job that is steady and sell on the weekends and evenings. It's too much running around pressuring people that obvious have no money to pay for hardly anything. I left my steady captive job with AARP I am not sure it was worth it know I have to sit thru training online for AHIP etc.

I was captive at Prudential for 10 years. It was good for training and discipline but I have no desire to return to that restrictive environment.

As a broker, you are free to get whatever your clients need. In regards to health insurance, it's much easier now than it was just 6 months ago. No health questions and Federal law says that everyone has to have it. Can't get much easier than that!
ac

Life is short. Way too short to do something everyday that you hate.

I'm in Dallas and all I do is Small Group Health, U65 Individual and Med Supp. I love what I do. I'm a single mom and I don't work nights or weekends,but I've been doing this as an independent for 12 years now, it takes a while. My leads have always come from networking and referrals. I haven't had luck with telemarketing, internet or DM. Which may be me. Or who I used. Or how quickly I responded to the texts on the internet leads. Who knows???

Not sure why you aren't contracted with BCBSTX, but that's who I use for individual. I used to have some on Aetna, for type 2 diabetics, but that's no longer an issue.

There are advantages to being captive, no question. Long term, you will be happier without big brother, but its a 3 year turnaround.

Right now, the online training is miserable, but that's life. Just get through it and be done.

If you are thinking Life Insurance, I would look at New York Life, Northwestern Mutual and Mass Mutual. Excellent training, but it also includes financial planning via life insurance.

Good luck! I hope you find something that makes you happier. Life really is too short to wake up miserable.:1cool:

I think being an independent broker is the only way to go- but that's all I've ever known so I can't speak to the captive experience. I just like my freedom and being able to add what I want and stay flexible and diversified. I focus on the senior market; selling Final Expense and Medicare products- MA plans and MedSupps. I think KGmom is right though. It takes a few years for the renewals to kick in.

I'm contracted w/Aetna, Assurant and UHC. I'm in TX, but hold licenses in other states. I just started like 2 months ago but I simply hate it. And it is getting SO expensive; in this economy people simply don't have the $$ or don't want to spend it. I feel I might as well be selling cars or houses; at least people will see something for the $$ they are spending.

I used to sell life and accident insurance (captive). I would like to go back, not captive. Any suggestions of who I should go through? And for those of you that are successfully making a living selling health, any words of wisdom for a health insurance newb?

I can certainly understand the people telling you to wait it out and not doing anything hasty. But, sometimes it's for the better to take risks. I graduated from a state college in PA. I had a dead end job with the commonwealth that paid $12.50 an hour and I worked from noon to 9 pm every weekday. The job barely covered my student loan payments. On top of that, I commuted an hour and a half every day and the management really mistreated their entry level employees.
After trying to deal with it for a year, I decided to call it quits. I took a chance and left the job. Exactly a month after quitting, an online marketing/business consultation firm hired me. That was my first 'big boy job' and I'm still with the company. I have received several promotions, love my job, and thank god on a daily basis for not sticking it out with my former employer.
Sometimes, you just have to take a risk. But, only you can decide if the risk is worth it for you.

Back