I Need a Mentor

dgrins

I am new to the insurance industry. I got my P&C License about 4 months ago and have just got the L&H license also. I plan to become an independent agent. I need a mentor who will take me every step of the way. I have recently received calls from some of my friends and family members to take care of their insurance needs, but I tactically turned down the calls because I don't want to make any mistake....to them, I already have my license, and I should be able to deal. But I know I am not ready yet.

How do I find a good mentor who will guide and show me what to do. Please note that working as a captive agent is not an option for me. I live in the state of California and within the Los Angeles county. Your advice, comments and recommendations will be highly appreciated.

I am new to the insurance industry. I got my P&C License about 4 months ago and have just got the L&H license also. I plan to become an independent agent. I need a mentor who will take me every step of the way. I have recently received calls from some of my friends and family members to take care of their insurance needs, but I tactically turned down the calls because I don't want to make any mistake....to them, I already have my license, and I should be able to deal. But I know I am not ready yet.

How do I find a good mentor who will guide and show me what to do. Please note that working as a captive agent is not an option for me. I live in the state of California and within the Los Angeles county. Your advice, comments and recommendations will be highly appreciated.

What do you have to offer a mentor? I mean no one is going to do it for the warm feelings.

Last edited:
I am in Orange County - these few have impressed me over the years for P&C. You should call them and see if there is an opportunity you do not necessarily need a referral don't be scared to call them and give your story. At the least they can help point you in the right direction.

Heffernan Insurance Brokers -http://www.heffins.com/
Word and Brown - They advertise as a ga but have sections for producers.
Brown & Brown of California
Arroyo Agencies :2900 W Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90041 (323) 550-7900

"I have recently received calls from some of my friends and family members to take care of their insurance needs, but I tactically turned down the calls...."
Strangest tactics I've ever heard of!

"I have recently received calls from some of my friends and family members to take care of their insurance needs, but I tactically turned down the calls...."
Strangest tactics I've ever heard of!

He's playing hard to get. Gets them every time. :biggrin:

I am in Orange County - these few have impressed me over the years for P&C. You should call them and see if there is an opportunity you do not necessarily need a referral don't be scared to call them and give your story. At the least they can help point you in the right direction.

Heffernan Insurance Brokers
Word and Brown - They advertise as a ga but have sections for producers.
Brown & Brown of California
Arroyo Agencies :2900 W Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90041 (323) 550-7900

Thanks a lot for these info. I will definitely give these guys a call and I will keep you posted.

Back