I need help with ideas for presentation to community business group

I am giving a presentation to a meeting of various business owners and independents this week and I am looking for good ideas on what to say. Has anyone done something like this before and have a good suggestion on where to start?

Any good jokes that I can steal?

I focus on life insurance and a little bit of health.

Thanks
Paul

I've never done a presentation like the one your suggesting, but I remember going to a business banking presentation years ago. The guy stepped up on stage and didn't say a word. Instead you wrote the top 5 issues small businesses have with banking. He then turned around and said something to the effect of "Do any of you have any of these issues? Please raise your hands." Every hand in that room shot up, he then addressed them 1 by 1. What do you think the small business owners your going to address need help with? What can you offer to address that need?

Don't do anything recommended by an insurance company rep. If they knew how to sell insurance they wouldn't be a desk jockey at the company.

And don't go in telling a bunch of jokes. They want insurance talk, they are going to see a comedian.

Just talk to them as if you were talking to an individual one on one. An overview of what you do and then have plenty of business cards so the interested can contact you.

No doubt jokes break the ice. Here are a few suggestions.

Have you ever done any public speaking? You establish credibility with first impressions. If you are nervous you will project a lack of confidence.

If you speak too softly many will tune you out. A monotone delivery will put people to sleep. Change inflection and volume, but so so naturally to provide emphasis to the message.

If you are too stiff you will not capture and hold their attention. Animation and expression help.

Public speaking is a gift that comes naturally for some. For others, it is learned in a group like Toastmasters.

As for your speech, come up with an outline but by all means don't get up there and read it. You might have a bullet point summary to hand out AFTER the speech if that is permitted by the organizers of the group.

I assume you don't know these people, so this is your 10 minute, 20 minute commercial for you and what you can do.

Use the following as a guideline.

Lead in with a question designed to interrupt their thought pattern. Something like Tampa suggested. Have you ever KNOWN anyone who had this problem?

By asking if they KNOW of someone you are not asking for an admission of guilt but rather finding out if they are even aware the problem exists.

If the problem is common they will identify with it and will want to know how YOU would solve it.

Tell a story.

I once knew someone that had a successful business. This man (or woman) was well known and respected in the community. If ever anyone needed (the product or service) they knew exactly who to go to for the answer.

One day, for no apparent reason, the business was closed. No one seemed to know why but phones were not answered. No lights were on. There were no signs of activity.

Eventually it was discovered that Jack had a stroke. One day he was in good health. The next he was in a hospital . . .

Your story can be a personal one, not necessarily about you but about someone you know. If you don't have a personal story steal one from someone else. Ted and The Moth are good resources

TED Talks
The Moth | Stories

Offer a resolution.

A local attorney ambulance chase has run TV commercials for years and built a very successful practice with 30 second commercials consisting of short testimonials about how Ken got them a $100,000 settlement.

They all close with "I can't guarantee the same results but if you need help call me. One call, that's all"

Call it corny if you want but the guy is ultra-successful from 30 second ads.

I am giving a presentation to a meeting of various business owners and independents this week and I am looking for good ideas on what to say. Has anyone done something like this before and have a good suggestion on where to start?

Any good jokes that I can steal?

I focus on life insurance and a little bit of health.

Thanks
Paul

Life insurance is a solution for problems. Ask a lot of questions in an organized format. However, I would NOT then say "the solution you need is life insurance". The solution they need is to MEET with you to help them to solve these problems.

If you'd like an organized PowerPoint presentation on business owner planning, you can order this one from the IARFC for $79 for non-members.

Business Planning Power Point

don't go in telling a bunch of jokes. They want insurance talk

I don't know anyone, including insurance agents, that want to hear "insurance talk".

People have problems and want solutions. If you want people to set an appointment and buy something, you have to have show that you understand their problems and can help them solve those problems.

People who go to a hardware store don't want a lecture on drills. They want to know the best way to make a hole.

I don't know anyone, including insurance agents, that want to hear "insurance talk".

People have problems and want solutions. If you want people to set an appointment and buy something, you have to have show that you understand their problems and can help them solve those problems.

People who go to a hardware store don't want a lecture on drills. They want to know the best way to make a hole.

Right. So they do want a comedian to come in and solve those problems?

Back