I Really Need Some Advice!

Labman

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm going in front of a 40 life group next week to talk with them about their group health care. Their renewal is Oct.1. I'm nervous as hell because I'm still not up to speed on the reforms as I should be. I'll be studying over the weekend though.:D

What would you tell them about whether they should remain Grandfathered or not? How are you guys explaining all this crap without taking 45 minutes.

I've thought about that and may very well do so. In case one's not available, I gots to do something though.

Call the carrier rep with the insurer you think you'll be using and ask them to come in and pitch it with you. They should be up to speed on everything and generally love to come assist with larger groups.

It's a win-win. You show the company you are bringing value by having someone to answer questions you may not be able to answer and you don't have to split commissions with anyone.

I've thought about that and may very well do so. In case one's not available, I gots to do something though.

I may have just gotten lucky. One of the big gun guys out of my office said he would probably go. Thank God!:D

This reform stuff really is definately more confusing than Chinese arithmetic by far!

Carrier rep is probably best option. I'm doing same thing right now with a group of 175, they're super happy to assist on larger groups.

Call the carrier rep with the insurer you think you'll be using and ask them to come in and pitch it with you. They should be up to speed on everything and generally love to come assist with larger groups.

It's a win-win. You show the company you are bringing value by having someone to answer questions you may not be able to answer and you don't have to split commissions with anyone.

^^^X2

(That's cool chat-speak for I totally agree with this!)

^^^X2

(That's cool chat-speak for I totally agree with this!)

It's great until the next 20% rate increase comes and they view you as the United Health guy (or who ever you brought in) and decide to shop it out with other carriers. No matter how many times you tell them you work with all the other major carriers, they still don't get it. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. I will never bring a carrier rep with me again.

I understand what you are saying, but there are ways to control that issue. I'm assuming the op already has the census data and has run the quotes with all carriers. Personally, I put together a basic summary comparison of three plans with 3-5 carriers for my group prospects. I put it in a folder and present it to them.

If this process has been completed and now we're just down to some Q&A, I'll either let them know I don't know the answer, but will get it or I bring in a rep and instruct the rep they aren't there to play up the carrier and is there only to answer questions and to take cues from me. If the client asks a question I'm not sure of, I simply ask the carrier rep to answer it.

This way the client still knows that I am in control and also that I am independent and the only reason the rep is there is to answer questions I may not know.

NEVER, EVER let a carrier rep take control of the meeting.

I don't do a ton of group business, but the only time I've ever lost any group business is when they've shut the doors. I am VERY proactive with the client especially at renewal time. Three months prior to renewal I am in contact with them to find out if there are any changes in health conditions and to update the census so I can go ahead and run a comparison and have it ready when the renewal arrives. That is how they know I am looking out for their best interest.

With that said, if I had a carrier rep cross a line, they would never be invited back to a client meeting.

It's great until the next 20% rate increase comes and they view you as the United Health guy (or who ever you brought in) and decide to shop it out with other carriers. No matter how many times you tell them you work with all the other major carriers, they still don't get it. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. I will never bring a carrier rep with me again.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, he's going in front of this group to talk about their plan. At this point nothing's been done so I'm not sure bringing in carrier rep is the right move.

Back