I received a subrogation letter from a car insurance company, what to do?

thebutcher

I just found the forum here so I hope to gain some knowledge here going forward in my situation. Like I said I just got a letter in the mail today, it mentioned subrogation referencing an auto accident that I was in about 10 days ago. I will stop there to detail that incident.

I was involved in a collision on the highway on a very wet and icy morning during morning rush hour. It was a very severe storm that ended up being 6 inches of snow. While travelling on the highway at the speed of about 60mph my car (was driving my friend's car) just lost control on a slight curve, I hit a patch of ice I am certain because I had zero warning (no sliding or hydroplaning) it just snapped to the left into a slide. I was in the far left lane and slid across the highway, three lanes, making contact with one vehicle, it hit me as I slid into the lane. My car ended up going off the road and coming to rest there. Aside from some pretty minor front end damage on the front passenger side my car was fine. My headlight on that side was fine and I was able to drive away after being helped out of the snow and mud by a tow truck.

The other vehicle had stopped about 100 yards down the highway, it also appeared fine, at least from the back. The vehicle was drivable like mine it appeared, the damage on my car was pretty minor, enough for me to assume that the SUV that hit me had similar damage if not less.

So the police came on the scene and I explained to them what happened. I gave them my license and my friends car insurance information, which they returned to me probably 20 to 30 minutes later before my car was pulled out and I drove away. The officer specifically stated that he was not going to be citing anyone due to the weather conditions. He said this to me without me even inquiring about that, as much as I appreciated that I did not feel or expect to get cited for anything, I was not speeding or driving erratic, I just hit a patch of ice on winter roads.

I never met with the person who collided with me when I went out of control. I assumed that the police was going to give her my information. She never made an effort to contact me either and I was there on the side of the road for over an hour all told. This may have been due to the weather conditions.

So there it is, I was involved in a pretty crazy accident that ended up being minor, it was a hell of a ride and I think I came out of it with only the one small hit because I never slammed on the breaks and thus slid off the highway, it all happened very fast. This by the way was my first car accident ever, I am in my forties. I was not cited for the accident by the police, who stated to me it was weather related, and I gave the police my ID and my friends insurance. I assumed that was given to her if not included in any report afterward (I did not get a copy of the report, probably will now).

So back to the letter. They state that their investigation has determined I was at fault, of course it would.

The letter references attached details of the damages and amount they are asking for, the problem is all that was in the envelope was the one piece of paper. There is nothing in there with any details or amount owed. Doesn't lead me to believe that I am dealing with any geniuses, maybe some swindlers but not geniuses.

I don't know I have been getting a number of calls from people I don't know since the accident asking if I was hurt, basically ambulance chasers from what it sounds like so I am not even sure what to think about this letter.

I am pondering on what to do. I don't plan to ignore it as I am capable of defending myself. I have been sued 3 times by 3rd party debt collectors (2 of them were for the same BS alleged debt) and I beat all 3 of those without paying them anything and without even going to court.

I will probably wait a few days to think about it and of course want to get any advice from people who post on here. I am very mindful not to help them find out any information. In the letter they request the information of my insurance company, actually it would be my friend's insurance. I would have thought their "investigation" would have gave them that information, it should be in the report or at least with the officer, he took notes and such. I am not planning on giving them any information, will most likely inform them that there was nothing attached or included in the letter as they claimed in the letter there would be relative to damages supposedly owed by me.

My friend did not think it was worth it to repair the slight damage and did not make a claim, instead of me paying for the damage I am just going to end up buying the car from him.

I am not sure why the person who collided with me did not get the insurance liability information from the officer or the report, seems like she just went through her own insurance to fix whatever damage occurred. And quick, this only occurred 10 days ago, now the insurance company is trying to get money from me.

I am pretty much judgement proof, take care of a relative who has cancer, primary care giver.

I would think that the weather conditions being enough to not be cited for anything should be some credible defense. I am open to a settlement depending on how much they want, but I am inclined against it in a way because I was advised I should settle those debt lawsuits and I ended up not having to pay them anything.

One thing I would be interested in knowing is what the amount is where these people will actually sue, I am sure it has to be X amount for it to even be worth it.

Any other advice is appreciated, sorry for the length of the message I just wanted to be thorough.

It’s funny you kept saying the car hit you as you spun out of control across 4 lanes of traffic. You were clearly 100% at fault so I don’t know why you are trying to avoid taking responsibility.

However, you probably just need to give the company your friends insurance information and it will be worked out between the two insurance companies. You shouldn’t need to pay anything out of pocket.

You were in the other person's lane. It is not the officer's responsibility to give the other person your information. You were there for an hour and did not check on the person you hit. Did they have children in the car? Sounds like an accident. That is why you have insurance. Give them the car owners insurance company Pay any deductible and move on.

1. You should have had your own auto insurance and not relied on insurance of others.

2. Your friend should have reported the accident, as likely required by the insurance contract and you would have probably been covered as a permissive driver.

3. Your friend should report the claim now, though his insurer might deny it due to the delay in reporting.

4. I don't know what you mean by "judgment proof." A half-wit attorney could easily attach a chunk of your assets and income for the next 10-20 years if that's necessary to satisfy the claim.

Back