I Think I Got Screwed by My Captive Agency-Advice Please!

I began working at the end of August for Amerilife, a captive agency new to Dallas. They sent me out to Tampa to train me on Medicare, Medicare Advantage Plans, and Medicare Supplements. I did all my appointments with the insurance carriers online, and began working. I sold three Medicare Supplement Plan F's and a final expense policy. I signed all the policies, collected voided checks and premiums, and they were sent off to corporate.

When I asked my boss on Friday about my paycheck, he said he hadn't received it and didn't know why. I had already been working close to one month. I then asked the office secretary, and she emailed the corporate office. They said that when I was originally hired, I didn't submit proper forms of identification, so I technically wasn't officially hired yet. I needed to be issued an Amerilife number before I could ever receive a paycheck. Well, initially I had submitted my passport and social security card, and that wasn't enough, so that same day I went down to the DMV and got a Texas state ID card made, and the secretary faxed that to corporate the same day.

Two days later, I inquired about my status, and my boss said that I didn't disclose a pending DWI that I have on my application, so that triggered an extensive background check, and it would take up to four weeks to clear. At this point I am getting very mad because I keep getting a different story as to why I won't get paid. Keep in mind, my boss keeps telling me my paycheck is coming, not to worry, just get out there and sell. I had the secretary pull my application, and it only asks about felonies, not misdemeanors, so I didn't lie on it like my boss had said. My boss informed me that if for some reason Amerilife decides not to issue me a number, he would sign my policies and take the commission, and pay me cash under the table. (yeah right).

At this point, I told him that I know longer want to commit any further with this company, and to please release me so that I become a general agent, and I would just cut my losses. He told me he had a busy schedule, so it may take two weeks for him to release me. I then called corporate, they put me on hold for literally two minutes, and released me to the general agent side of Amerilife, that's how long it took! My boss had told me that corporate would have to send him paperwork that he would have to sign off on, and when I spoke to corporate, they told me that they had no idea why he told me that.

Is this common in the insurance world? I guess I lost all my commissions, and right now I am going through the process of getting appointed with the insurance carriers as a general agent. I was working with some leads right about the time I decided to leave the captive agency, and my boss texted me this morning telling me I am not allowed to have any contact with any clients, even those I have been talking to and haven't actually sold anything to. This entire time I have been selling United of Omaha Med Supps as the least expensive Plan F in my area, my boss tells us this all the time. Well, come to find out, Sentinel is the least expensive, so I want to go back to those clients and sell them the Sentinel Plan F, but I'm not sure if I'm legally allowed to do this..... my old boss says no, but I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Thoughts? Advice? Did I make the right decision? Any input is appreciated....

First things first, review your contract. Did you sign a non-compete or non-disclosure? Also, talk to Amerilife and see why you were not given a writing number from day one. Sounds like you may get a completely different story from them, and this may have an ok ending for you.

Any way this goes, it sounds like your former manager is going to try to make trouble for you.

First things first, review your contract. Did you sign a non-compete or non-disclosure? Also, talk to Amerilife and see why you were not given a writing number from day one. Sounds like you may get a completely different story from them, and this may have an ok ending for you.

Any way this goes, it sounds like your former manager is going to try to make trouble for you.

This was the straw that broke the camel's back. On more than one occasion I have cried in front of the secretary and other agents because I was either sent home because I was 5 minutes late to the morning meeting when I had policies to turn in that I sold the day before (I have no car, in the process of buying one, have to find rides to work and they know this) or from being cursed out by my former boss, called a GD stupid b*tch, and just about every other curse word out there. I just don't feel like I deserve to be cursed out by a chauvinistic con man on an ego power trip. I had a client's secretary call me during the morning meeting (I ended up selling him a 3 million dollar ten year term life insurance policy through Lincoln, which I am holding on to until I am independently contracted with them) and when I took the call, I got reprimanded, high school classroom style.

The run around about getting my pay check pushed me over the edge. I was smart enough however to document the text messages saying "F*ck you", I forwarded them to another agent, and actually had him on speaker phone while riding with another agent while he cursed me out. That other agent was so shocked at his behavior, he quit that day and never came back. So I have evidence at his unprofessional behavior if this gets really bad.

As it stands now, I will not get paid on what I sold, and I am not allowed to contact those past clients at all to sell them anything (so he says). I am just wondering if this is truly the case..... I don't know how I can go about getting a copy of the contract I signed... I know the office will be uncooperative to me, and I don't know if it's actually worth the trouble to contact corporate about this, when there is a possibility I can go back to those people and sell them the Sentinel Plan F at a much lower rate.

It does not sound like you ever had a contract since you were never approved and never drew a pay check.

Last edited:
It does not sound like he ever had a contract since he was never approved and never drew a pay check.

If there is no contract, and no non-compete or non-disclosure, you can do whatever you want with those leads. You were never an employee or contractor and have no obligation to keep their information confidential (of course, I'm not an attorney so consult your lawyer).

If there is no contract, and no non-compete or non-disclosure, you can do whatever you want with those leads. You were never an employee or contractor and have no obligation to keep their information confidential (of course, I'm not an attorney so consult your lawyer).

This is what I thought, thanks. I was never issued an Amerilife number, so technically I can do what I want. And I am definitely female.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This DWI thing- yes, it can come back to bite you.

Be that as it may, he knew about it when he hired me, I told him. And he should not have led me on to believe I would be receiving a paycheck. Basically I worked for free for almost a month, and he is stealing my commissions now, using this background check as a scapegoat. If it was an issue from the beginning, he should have told me, instead of seeing how long he could get me to work for free before I wised up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I posted another response, going into detail about the situation, but it sent me to a prompt that a moderator has to approve this post..... I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Back