I think I have done everything you guys have said. Any suggestions?

GP32765

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have beed working in life and mortgage for 4 years and have been pretty successful. I started health about 3 months ago and have and have been doing just OK. I value all of your opinions so this is why I am asking for help from you guys.
Here is what I am curently doing:
I am getting leads through Jami (Telemarketer Company you guys suggest)and I get about 2 a day. I call these leads and talk to people and most of them say that they want quotes. I profile them by asking them questions. Example: plan they have, how much paying,what is important to them, etc... I tell them I will run quotes from a variety of companies and call them or email them with the quotes. The ones I email, I never hear back from and the ones I call back I just end up leaving messages and they never call me back. Can you guys please give me some suggestions as it can be frustrating not making any headway on the health side.
FYI- I want to contribute to the forum and I know you guys are talking about go to meeting for do presentations. Yugma is the same software you can use like go to meeting, but it is free. www.yugma.com

What you need to do is remain in control of the situation. The second you e-mail them a quote, or mail it to them, you have lost control. They no longer need you, and will either ignore you (as you have seen), or give you the run around.

There are two things you can do
  1. Move on, and if they call you back, that's great.
  2. Tell them, on the initial conversation, that you need to schedule a time to meet with them, to go over their options. If they ask you to just mail/emial it to them, you need to say the following:
"No. That's not how I operate. If you are simply wanting to get numbers, and see which is the least expensive, I can refer you to quotesmith.com. If, however, you are serious about taking control of your health care dollars, we need to sit down together, so that I may be able to simplify things for you, and show you how best to utilize your plan."

It won't work 100% of the time.

Bob, thanks
If you do schedule a time to meet via internet or in person, what do you do if they no show you or if you call them for the meeting and they do not have time?
Anyone else have some advice?

my view is the client has no reason to change, either the lead was set under "hey why not kick the tires and see whats up"(ie, no intrest, just set to get off the phone) or the agent has not given enough "reason" to change( scare the piss out of them or show them they are getting screwed with what they have). If you have created a reason they MUST change then they will answer the phone.

People here have bitched about internet leads... but one thing is for sure, they had some reason that made them fill out the form and click submit.

BTW, I use both tmktr and internet, I hate the ruthless games that must be played with intenet leads and the jury is still out on tmktr leads.

You don't have to meet with the people to get their business. I do alot of my business over the phone. I have more than one lead source though. I use referrals, internet leads, print ads, community outreach campaigns and cross selling my current customers. If one of my lead sources isn't working out, the others are there to pick up the slack.

I have used leads from all sources, and internet is the most cost effective for me with a $7 to $1 return on investment.

I had much worse results with telemarketed leads, only returning less than $3 to $1.

As Peeler said, the internet leads took the time to conduct an active search and fill out detailed information.

Telemarketed leads will say almost anything to get the marketer off the phone. There are more tire kickers in telemarketed leads than internet, but both have a high percentage that will waste your time.

On average, about 80 - 90% of the internet leads are non-responsive, bum information, uninsurable or tire kickers. At $8/lead I pay $80 to get somebody who is real and will eventually buy.

If I get 10 leads in a day it takes me all of 2 minutes per lead (or less) to find out who is responsive and who is serious. The one serious one may take 30 minutes or more of my time to answer questions and allow me to show them what I can do.

So figure $80 + 9 x 2 minutes = 18 minutes for time wasters and another 30 minutes for a solid lead.

That is less than 1 hour per day to effectively work 10 new leads.

How long does it take you to DRIVE to an appointment that may or may not be interested, and may or may not stand you up?

In Atlanta, it takes me an hour minimum just to drive to an appointment & back. I can see 2, maybe 3 people on a good day in the car and still not be any more productive than tele sales.

Granted, I will close more of those I see face to face but I am also wasting a lot of time driving to see folks who wont buy if I were giving it away.

You have to do what works for you. Sounds like what you are doing now isn't working. Maybe this will help.

2 leads a day? Might as not even make a call - unless you get lucky. I close about 1 out of 15 telemarketed leads so 2 a day = zero deals for the week. You need at least 8 leads a day.

I have used leads from all sources, and internet is the most cost effective for me with a $7 to $1 return on investment.

I had much worse results with telemarketed leads, only returning less than $3 to $1.

As Peeler said, the internet leads took the time to conduct an active search and fill out detailed information.

Telemarketed leads will say almost anything to get the marketer off the phone. There are more tire kickers in telemarketed leads than internet, but both have a high percentage that will waste your time.

On average, about 80 - 90% of the internet leads are non-responsive, bum information, uninsurable or tire kickers. At $8/lead I pay $80 to get somebody who is real and will eventually buy.

If I get 10 leads in a day it takes me all of 2 minutes per lead (or less) to find out who is responsive and who is serious. The one serious one may take 30 minutes or more of my time to answer questions and allow me to show them what I can do.

So figure $80 + 9 x 2 minutes = 18 minutes for time wasters and another 30 minutes for a solid lead.

That is less than 1 hour per day to effectively work 10 new leads.

How long does it take you to DRIVE to an appointment that may or may not be interested, and may or may not stand you up?

In Atlanta, it takes me an hour minimum just to drive to an appointment & back. I can see 2, maybe 3 people on a good day in the car and still not be any more productive than tele sales.

Granted, I will close more of those I see face to face but I am also wasting a lot of time driving to see folks who wont buy if I were giving it away.

You have to do what works for you. Sounds like what you are doing now isn't working. Maybe this will help.

Internet leads = $8 a pop - close 1 out of 10
Telemarketed leads = $7.50 a pop - close 1 out of 15

However, I'd rather have a book of all small biz owners. Must higher premiums, much higher persistency.

Plus, most agents who have contacted me from this board can only close 1 out of 20 shared leads.

The bottom line is all leads work - shared and telemarketed. But you need volume to be successful with either method.

Some things you are going to have control over, some you won't. Internet or Telmarketing leads don't tip to your favor.

Doing your own telemarketing (where they speak directly to you), and networking for leads, will tip the scales in your favor. You need to stay away from doing a "product dump" over the phone. (John and others will be on directly to tell you how wrong I am about this topic, so...)

In an initial conversation, you need to accomplish 3 things:

1. You need to get their attention: If they sound harried or frazzled, or otherwise pre-occupied, tell them you will call back.
  2. You need to get their agreement: If they won't tell you when their policies come up for renewal, or they won't tell you how long it has been since they've renewed, they are not worth your time. Put them in a follow up call file for 3 months.
  3. You need to get their information: If they won't give you their census information, but still want you to throw out a number, they are a time-waster, and you need to cut the line and move on.
My recommendation is that you start with small businesses. I would also recommend you meet with Financial Planners, and give them mini presentations over lunch, so that when their clients need a new policy, or are looking, they will think of you as the "health guy".

If you are starting in the individual market, I suggest you contact the county governments, and get listings of recent business licenses. This list will provide you with those who are starting their own business, either on the side, or all alone. You will get mostly husband/wife, but that's okay.

If you need some scripts to use, IM me, and I'll get them to you.

Back