I Want to Become an Independent Florida Agent

gratcliffe

Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to insurance. I am liscensed (2-15) and have a Series 6 and Series 63. Got my liscenses with Primerica, not really enjoying that experience. Have spoken to Bankers Life, but with all the bad rap, they may not be the best fit. Basically I need some help in what direction to go and how to get there, and yes I need training to grow my book of business and whatever else is involved in growing a thriving insurance business. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to insurance. I am liscensed (2-15) and have a Series 6 and Series 63. Got my liscenses with Primerica, not really enjoying that experience. Have spoken to Bankers Life, but with all the bad rap, they may not be the best fit. Basically I need some help in what direction to go and how to get there, and yes I need training to grow my book of business and whatever else is involved in growing a thriving insurance business. Any help would be appreciated.
Primerica puts a lot of people into security license, which is not good if moving out of Primerica. Many people do not have enough customer base to be working in the security business. Most security firms charge a lot to be a security rep while Primerica charges a lot less while their payout was a lot less. Many times a Primerica rep let their security license go when moving out of Primerica if they do not have enough business to sustain their license.
Moving out of Primerica and becoming an independent rep for insurance companies is much easier. You would get higher contract than Primerica and great freedom to choose the insurance products. I hope you learned enough business skills to be an independent. Talk to a local GA for help. Remote GA is a harder. Otherwise, go to other captive agencies to get skills.

I'd stay away from Bankers if I were you. I couldn't imagine having one company to write for. I would suggest going independent too, that's what I'm in the process of doing.

Yes, stay far away from Bankers. I'm a former Bankers guy and you'd be jumping from the skillet to the fire, not a good choice.
Chazm, I'm also looking into going indy here in FL. Who have you looked at writing with? Just curious, I've just started looking myself and will probably be staying in the senior market, med supps, FE, etc...

My GA is headquartered in the Tampa area. Our folks down there a heavily geared toward the senior market (perhaps that is obvious).
Anyway, if you are in that geographic area and want some details on who we contract with, pm or email me.

I am not recruiting but I am in Florida as well and went independent and I sign up through Next Generation and they offer good products with good companies and really good commissions. Might be something to look into. Also another one that is good for annuities is Creative Marketing, and Gameplan. They give you a lot of help and provide training.

Yes, stay far away from Bankers. I'm a former Bankers guy and you'd be jumping from the skillet to the fire, not a good choice.
Chazm, I'm also looking into going indy here in FL. Who have you looked at writing with? Just curious, I've just started looking myself and will probably be staying in the senior market, med supps, FE, etc...

I would like to stay with most of the companies I have now. As an indy agent I have only filled out the contracts for 1 med supp and one FE. The med supp was Gerber (not even available yet) and the FE was Forresters. I'm hoping I can transfer my contracts with UHC and MoO for my med supps and RNA for my other FE. I also want to get a couple of annuity companies (not sure which yet) and one to two LTC (probably JH and genworth)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am not recruiting but I am in Florida as well and went independent and I sign up through Next Generation and they offer good products with good companies and really good commissions. Might be something to look into. Also another one that is good for annuities is Creative Marketing, and Gameplan. They give you a lot of help and provide training.

what are some of the companies they have for med supps and FE?

Last edited:
Off the top of my head:
For med supps in FL we use AARP and Omaha.
Final Expense- Layfayette, Sagicor, Columbian, Oxford, Assurity.

My GA is headquartered in the Tampa area. Our folks down there a heavily geared toward the senior market (perhaps that is obvious).
Anyway, if you are in that geographic area and want some details on who we contract with, pm or email me.
Thanks I appreciate the information
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks For the assistance

Last edited:
Back