I want to sell Medicare

Strategy101

Expert
I have decided that I want to add Medicare to my list of products I sell. I have no experience with Medicare, in fact, I am not yet licensed for health. I understand medicare advantage open enrollment is going on now until March 1. If I were to get the license within the next week, do I still have time to make money selling Medicare? From my limited knowledge, only med supp can be sold year round. Is that correct? If I do not plan to sell med supp, is open enrollment my only opportunity to make money with medicare? In a nutshell, I am trying to see if it makes sense to get licensed now. Please advise. Thanks

I have decided that I want to add Medicare to my list of products I sell. I have no experience with Medicare, in fact, I am not yet licensed for health. I understand medicare advantage open enrollment is going on now until March 1. If I were to get the license within the next week, do I still have time to make money selling Medicare? From my limited knowledge, only med supp can be sold year round. Is that correct? If I do not plan to sell med supp, is open enrollment my only opportunity to make money with medicare? In a nutshell, I am trying to see if it makes sense to get licensed now. Please advise. Thanks

It's a looooooooooooooong term play, don't get licensed for any specific period of time, or even focus on any specific period of time.

If you sell Medicare related health, just get started whenever you can.

Currently we are in "OEP" but it certainly is not the biggest selling season - it's more of a "second chance" for people and doesn't get much traction (no advertising allowed....).

Maybe I didn't word it well. I am definitely in it for the long haul. But I am just wondering if it makes sense to get licensed this week (spending time and money) or just wait til a later time such as in the summer or something. If you were to tell me that there isn't much money to be made during this OEP then it would make sense to just get licensed a little later vs rushing to spend money and time to get licensed this week for OEP.

It's a looooooooooooooong term play, don't get licensed for any specific period of time, or even focus on any specific period of time.

If you sell Medicare related health, just get started whenever you can.

Currently we are in "OEP" but it certainly is not the biggest selling season - it's more of a "second chance" for people and doesn't get much traction (no advertising allowed....).

People sell Medicare yr round . What do you sell now ? I’ll avg 30 a month from now till oct 1 selling duals and lis . But I have big marketing $’s to get leads . If I had to spend my own money for leads I’d be concentrating on med sups over the phone for the next 10 months ( use an offshore caller that is trained ) and also t-65’s. Then throw big cash at aep . Believe me the first yr is tough in this as it’s a 5 yr building process to see the real fruits of your labor which is big renewals . Don’t get me wrong this past week was super sweet as very big Humana and United checks hit my account for 7 weeks of working myself to exhaustion .

People sell Medicare yr round . What do you sell now ? I’ll avg 30 a month from now till oct 1 selling duals and lis . But I have big marketing $’s to get leads . If I had to spend my own money for leads I’d be concentrating on med sups over the phone for the next 10 months ( use an offshore caller that is trained ) and also t-65’s. Then throw big cash at aep . Believe me the first yr is tough in this as it’s a 5 yr building process to see the real fruits of your labor which is big renewals . Don’t get me wrong this past week was super sweet as very big Humana and United checks hit my account for 7 weeks of working myself to exhaustion .

I currently sell p&c. I just got my life license 2 weeks ago and haven't done anything with it yet. I've been researching IMOs and in doing so, a few people have mentioned that I should get my health license also to sell Medicare as there is good money, especially the residual money. So now, I am contemplating getting the health license also but before I devote time, energy and money into getting the license, I just want to make sure it makes sense to be bother with it now.

The answer is get your license now if you're in it for the long haul. Sooner you start, the richer you will be. If you do, it's the only way you'll be ready for next open enrollment if you are going to do Medicare Advantage plans. Also be aware, 10,000 people turn 65 every month, so it's actually year round open enrollment if you target those in the early 60's. The easy route to do Medicare, is to only do Medicare supplements. You only need a health license, and does not require additional PITA Advantage certification. Best decision I made.

The answer is get your license now if you're in it for the long haul. Sooner you start, the richer you will be. If you do, it's the only way you'll be ready for next open enrollment if you are going to do Medicare Advantage plans. Also be aware, 10,000 people turn 65 every month, so it's actually year round open enrollment if you target those in the early 60's. The easy route to do Medicare, is to only do Medicare supplements. You only need a health license, and does not require additional PITA Advantage certification. Best decision I made.

Thanks for your response. I am in NC and I believe I just read that my state actually requires an additional license to sell med supp. It appears to be the med supp/ltc license... Either way, I think I am going to start pursuing this.

Exactly - get licensed now not because you'll sell a bunch per se, but because experience is a great teacher. You want to go into AEP knowing what you are talking about... not wondering whether or not you can have med adv and a separate drug plan.....

I am in NC

Same here - I'm near Topsail Island

Maybe I didn't word it well. I am definitely in it for the long haul. But I am just wondering if it makes sense to get licensed this week (spending time and money) or just wait til a later time such as in the summer or something. If you were to tell me that there isn't much money to be made during this OEP then it would make sense to just get licensed a little later vs rushing to spend money and time to get licensed this week for OEP.

Be sure you are direct to the carriers. Do not sign an LOA contract with an IMO.

Be sure you are direct to the carriers. Do not sign an LOA contract with an IMO.

Oh yes. Thankfully, I have been informed on this and will only work with carriers that give me independence, no loa, no non-competes and direct contracts to carrier. Thanks for heads up

Back