I Was Captive, Now Going Independent

I have been captive with a Large Life Insurance Co. for 32 years, and have my Series 6 and 63, along with L&H licenses, and Variable License. I am not really interested in selling mutual funds or Variable Annuities, but would like to continue to sell Indexed Universal Life, Indexed Annuities and fixed products. I am also going to be concentrating on the Medicare Advantage/Supplement Market. Do I need a Securities License to sell the products I want to sell? What about Variable Annuities with Guaranteed Minimum Income Benefit Riders? Do those require a Securities License? I don't mind keeping my Securities license, but I am being told that for a Broker Dealer to house my U-4, they want an annual commitment of about $25,000 of production for those sales, and I don't see myself doing that consistently. Do I need my Securities license to keep my Variable license? Any help would be appreciated.

I have been captive with a Large Life Insurance Co. for 32 years, and have my Series 6 and 63, along with L&H licenses, and Variable License. I am not really interested in selling mutual funds or Variable Annuities, but would like to continue to sell Indexed Universal Life, Indexed Annuities and fixed products. I am also going to be concentrating on the Medicare Advantage/Supplement Market. Do I need a Securities License to sell the products I want to sell? What about Variable Annuities with Guaranteed Minimum Income Benefit Riders? Do those require a Securities License? I don't mind keeping my Securities license, but I am being told that for a Broker Dealer to house my U-4, they want an annual commitment of about $25,000 of production for those sales, and I don't see myself doing that consistently. Do I need my Securities license to keep my Variable license? Any help would be appreciated.

You need a securities license to sell variable products

You do not need one to sell indexed products.

Indexed annuities have similar if not superior GMWBs/GMIBs.

What is the Variable License for? Or do I lose that when I don't have my Securities license?

You'll lose it once you no longer have your securities license.

----------

You'll lose it once you no longer have your securities license.

Actually, mine is still listed on my insurance license but w/o the securities license, it is pretty worthless.

I am happy to hear you are looking at being independent. I think you are going in the right direction. Do you know what your next step is? What are you looking for?

Laura

Back