Ia (smart choice) vs american national

playball41

Expert
So I have it narrowed down to the 2 choices presentred in the subject line. I will either jump in balls deep as an IA writing P&C thu Smart Choice and ALH products thru Brokers Alliance or I am talking to Amerivan National right now. Not much coverage about AN out there. I welcome all reasonable comments suggestions. My back ground is stong in sales (military Recruiter past 10 years in process of retiring). I have a fairly large network, I am in central PA. Lets here it!

Forgot one thing anyone know how competitive AN is in PA?

American National is highly competitive here in the southeast, but I can't say in PA. Question is, not if, but WHEN, will that change? You probably won't make as much in commissions with ANPAC, even after Smart Choice's split.

I personally wouldn't sign Smart Choice's contract, but everyone is different. For me, top priority is true ownership of my business, even more so than carrier access or commission. You're still in a captive contract, they just let you sell more carriers.

That said, in your case, I wouldn't do either. If you have never sold insurance before, don't invest your money in starting an agency. Take at least 2-3 years MINIMUM learning under an agent who already knows the industry. You won't regret it, and you won't be doing your clients a disservice.

I started my insurance career with American National. Great company, great history, great claims and great products - horrible management. We fought rate increases averaging 60% in 2009. It was however, a great way to get my feet wet. I am now indy and don't regret that choice one bit.

Go indy but not with Smart Choice. Their contract stinks and you don't own all of your business. Going captive stinks to but atleast you get the experience. Why not sign on as a producer for a while in an indy office? Contract can be about anything you come to terms with the agency owner, even ownership. I'm just not a fan of smart choice. Just my 2 cents.

Back