If-Any Workers Comp and WC for Startups

JWP

Expert
I'm an agent in Michigan.

Right now the carriers I work with won't write Workers Comp unless:

A. Have had WC for the previous 3 years
and
B. Have employees

Any carriers which don't have those requirements? Or just 1 of the requirements?

A lot of self-employed subcontractors need WC in order to get a job from their general contractor. I addition to contractors, there are lots of other jobs where people need that policy (consulting, technicians etc)So I've been writing these policies through the State.

Here in CA, there is maybe one other company besides our State program that will do this. But it usually very cheap on an if-any basis.

I'm limited in markets in MI, albeit usually my first thought is to place them in the pool. And when it comes to ghost policies, it isn't worth the time to do anything other than place the policy as quickly as you can so you can move on to something that will keep the lights on.

In Michigan there are a lot of carriers that are cleaning up their books for contracting risks. Most of what is on the way out is non-w2 labor as well.

We unfortunately do not write these risks either (checked with head of WC to be sure) so the state pool is likely your best avenue as 1reason stated.

I'm an agent in Michigan.

Right now the carriers I work with won't write Workers Comp unless:

A. Have had WC for the previous 3 years
and
B. Have employees

Any carriers which don't have those requirements? Or just 1 of the requirements?

A lot of self-employed subcontractors need WC in order to get a job from their general contractor. I addition to contractors, there are lots of other jobs where people need that policy (consulting, technicians etc)So I've been writing these policies through the State.

This will help

https://soleproprietorsolutions.com/programhighlights/?state=MI

Back