If Asked to Switch Role from Personal Lines, Would You Recommend Commercial Ins or Employee Benefits

secondcreek

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Currently work as a Personal Lines producer at a large independent agency.

I get the sense PL may be moved to the back burner for the agency and the suggestion made to go into Commercial insurance or Employee Benefits.

If this were to happen, I am not sure what offers the best career path. Both fields would be new to me. I find the idea of EB more interesting.

I have had quite a bit of success in PL. Have my CPCU--did this to gain a better understanding of commercial insurance.

Do have previous experience with individual LTCi, life, and disability.

It is amazing to me how I can be 10 years into a second career and could be facing another significant career change simply due to technology and the resulting reduction in commissions.

I am new to working in insurance and my employer started me in commercial lines. From what I have heard from my coworkers in our PL department, it is a lot more complicated that PL. It is a LOT to learn, but if you have a background in PL you should be fine. It just gets more complicated with class codes when you get into contractors and "odd" businesses. Handling fleets of trucks can get a little overwhelming sometimes if you have an issue with coverage. A lot of business owners seem to "forget" to pay their bills, when they get cancelled it can be a pain to get fleets moved to another carrier sometimes if they have any losses. But I am sure PL deals with that also. You would also have to learn more about Worker's Comp and all the different Errors and Omissions type of polices.
I only work in CL lines so I do not have anything to compare it to, but hope it helps! Some days I wish I was in PL...at least to start out with. But if you already know your way around insurance than you may enjoy the challenge of learning something new!

Back