If I Find You a Better Deal...

Just had a lead come in, the guy said he was working with a local agent and that he saw my ad, and wanted to see if I could show him better prices than what she showed him.
I point-blank asked him, if I can find you a better deal that what the current agent found for you, are you open to changing, he said, "I'll probably still go with her", I yelled at the guy to stop wasting my damn time...

How creative do you get when dealing with these users? Or do you actually turn these around?

Or better question, what do you ask the person when they tell you they are already working with someone but they went online looking for quotes anyways?

If they are already working with someone I want to know why. So I ask questions.

Is this an agent you have known a long time, or is this your current agent?

Why are you still looking if you found an agent that pleases you?

How did you find them (or how did they find you)?

Did they just give you a rate on plans you were looking for or did they take the time to educate you on market history, renewals, which plans are going away, which ones will be increasing rates more than normal next year, etc.

By this time they have either tired of my questions and just ask for the damn rate.

Or they are willing to listen to what I have to offer.

If they just want a rate I give them the absolute lowest rate for the plan(s) and wish them well. Just rates. No carrier names. No commentary.

If they are willing to listen I do what I can to neutralize the other agent by giving information that has not been forthcoming from the other agent.

If I can establish a dialogue I rarely lose out to another agent.

"Mr. Jones, I rarely will work with a potential client if they have another agent they are speaking with, historically it's a waste of my time and money. Tell me why are you seeking my assistance today, when you already have another agent your working with?"

Send them the damn quote. Get the client info, run the numbers, give him the cheapest. Send a couple follow up emails. Add them to your October email list. Its about 15 minutes total. You didn't waste that much time already today?

From the client perspective, they just want numbers and are doing their due diligence. They have no idea you just paid $30 (or whatever) for their info.

Just had a lead come in, the guy said he was working with a local agent and that he saw my ad, and wanted to see if I could show him better prices than what she showed him.
I point-blank asked him, if I can find you a better deal that what the current agent found for you, are you open to changing, he said, "I'll probably still go with her", I yelled at the guy to stop wasting my damn time...

How creative do you get when dealing with these users? Or do you actually turn these around?

Or better question, what do you ask the person when they tell you they are already working with someone but they went online looking for quotes anyways?

Bob pretty much nailed it. The guy obviously isn't 100% sold on the existing agent otherwise he wouldn't be "checking up" on other rates. I suspect he's making sure she's giving him good rates.

If you can get a dialogue going like Bob described then you might have a chance to flip them. And I certainly wouldn't waste much time with someone who wouldn't commit after you point blank asked him.

I always like to try and find out which carrier they have been quoted. That way you can chip away. Let's say for example she quoted him Plan F with a certain mutual carrier. Well, you've got two areas to poke holes in. Number one, why pay for Plan F when you can go with Plan G and save $150-$200 over and above the deductible. Number two, you've got the shell game that this carrier has played in the past. You'd also have the fact that Plan F is going the way of the dodo bird and "do you really want to be in a plan that will likely experience significant rate increases in the future since no new customers will be joining?"

I suspect you may have asked him for his commitment too soon. Of course, we weren't privy to the whole conversation so I could be wrong with that assumption. But as Bob said, I'd want to know how he came to work with this other agent. Why he is seeking rates elsewhere. How much education did this agent provide. And you want to ask certain things like, "Did she tell you...?" If you ask enough of those you may come across the one that she didn't tell him and then he's wondering why.

If all else fails, then move on. If the conversation ends cordially, then you can just drip on him from year to year. Especially if you know the carrier and plan he's going with. You'll be able to reach out each time there's a rate increase. Which may be more than his current agent will do.

Bob pretty much nailed it. The guy obviously isn't 100% sold on the existing agent otherwise he wouldn't be "checking up" on other rates. I suspect he's making sure she's giving him good rates.

If you can get a dialogue going like Bob described then you might have a chance to flip them. And I certainly wouldn't waste much time with someone who wouldn't commit after you point blank asked him.

I always like to try and find out which carrier they have been quoted. That way you can chip away. Let's say for example she quoted him Plan F with a certain mutual carrier. Well, you've got two areas to poke holes in. Number one, why pay for Plan F when you can go with Plan G and save $150-$200 over and above the deductible. Number two, you've got the shell game that this carrier has played in the past. You'd also have the fact that Plan F is going the way of the dodo bird and "do you really want to be in a plan that will likely experience significant rate increases in the future since no new customers will be joining?"

I suspect you may have asked him for his commitment too soon. Of course, we weren't privy to the whole conversation so I could be wrong with that assumption. But as Bob said, I'd want to know how he came to work with this other agent. Why he is seeking rates elsewhere. How much education did this agent provide. And you want to ask certain things like, "Did she tell you...?" If you ask enough of those you may come across the one that she didn't tell him and then he's wondering why.

If all else fails, then move on. If the conversation ends cordially, then you can just drip on him from year to year. Especially if you know the carrier and plan he's going with. You'll be able to reach out each time there's a rate increase. Which may be more than his current agent will do.

Are you trying to compete with Bob Barney for most words per post?:skeptical:

Are you trying to compete with Bob Barney for most words per post?:skeptical:

I have a totally unrelated question... I normally view the forum through the app so I don't see the 1k and 5k stickers... I notice you have both and sman only has the 5k sticker did he jump past 1k posts somehow?

I have a totally unrelated question... I normally view the forum through the app so I don't see the 1k and 5k stickers... I notice you have both and sman only has the 5k sticker did he jump past 1k posts somehow?

I think I'm the only one that is double badged. I have never said anything. I just thought it was because I'm smarter than everyone else...

Back