Illegals Could Buy On Covered California SB 10

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
If SB 10 is signed by Jerry Brown and waiver approved by the feds. No doubt Brown will sign it. Assuming they won't be eligible for subsidies, but then again this is the People's Republic.

Source: The Mercury News

Illegal immigrants would be allowed to purchase health insurance for themselves and their families through California’s state-run marketplace under legislation that passed both houses of the Legislature this week with bipartisan support.

Senate Bill 10 authorizes the state to apply for a waiver to a federal rule that blocks illegal immigrants from using their own money to obtain coverage through Covered California. It was one of hundreds of pieces of legislation lawmakers debated this week ahead of Friday’s deadline to cast floor votes in the chamber where the bills originated.

California already leads the nation in enacting new laws that expand immigrants’ rights. And if Brown signs SB 10, authored by Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, and seeks such an Affordable Care Act waiver, California would become the first state to ask for one.

“Covered California should be able to live up to its name and serve all Californians regardless of immigration status,” said Anthony Wright, director of Health Access California, which lobbied to pass the legislation. It cleared the Senate 27-8 and the Assembly 55-20.

California Legislature Approves Bill Allowing Families To Buy Plans Through State Exchange : John & Rusty Report

Last edited:
As I read it, it is not a free benefit. The law lets these people BUY coverage. True, many will get a subsidy, so I see why there is opposition.

Obviously the borders should be enforced, but these people are here now and what do you want to do? Would you stand there and watch a little girl die of appendicitis by not enabling her to have the surgery?

Of course you wouldn't. I don't think any agent would (well, I take that back... I know a few who post in the Non Insurance section who might!)

I bet the vast majority of agents would contribute their own money to raise needed funds in their community for such a situation. Agents have big hearts and are in the "helping" business because of it.

What is the better answer? It will be impossible to round up and deport 11 million people (anytime soon.) This new law in CA seems to be a reasonable proposal given the situation that so many states (communities) find themselves in and I bet it will spread to other states in the near future. It's a solution... maybe not a good one, but better than none at all... at least for the near-term.

As I read it, it is not a free benefit. The law lets these people BUY coverage. True, many will get a subsidy, so I see why there is opposition.

Actually there is a free benefit. The original proposals were to allow children under 18 to enroll in no-cost MediCal (CA Medicaid) through Covered CA. It was later expanded to include the option for the parents to "buy" in situations where either they wanted to pay for coverage for the adults (highly unlikely) or in situations where the declared family income is above 267% FPL. If they don't qualify for subsidy (requires taxes be filed) then the second situation is also highly unlikely.

Back