Illinois Coverage Question

Just ran into this question:

My husband works for a railroad company and his and our daughters insurance was through his job. I am a teacher and my (garbage) insurance is through my job. My husband switched jobs in December and due to how his new company reports hours, his hours have been 1-2 hours shy of the required 300 hours to qualify for insurance. Anyways we were blessed his precious job kept his insurance going because he was laid off in November and they wanted him to come back this spring but still didn’t have work available. His insurance was cancelled (back dated) March 31.

He has been to the ER last week and to a GI appointment today and my daughter went to her one year check up and vaccines today. We get home to a letter saying the insurance is cancelled and back dated. We knew this was a possibility but when I called the insurance company they said to just sign up for Cobra for a month until the new insurance started. So an expense, but manageable. Now this letter says he doesn’t qualify for cobra due to his previous company being so small (under 20 employees). I can add my daughter to my garbage work insurance but when I tried to do that in April anticipating this cancellation and lapse in coverage, I was told I wouldn’t be able to just add her for one month.

Are there options for us in terms of back dated coverage? Adding my daughter to mine for the next month is doable, but paying longer than that is not doable due to how terrible our coverage is (teacher and our district buys the worst insurance in an effort to get us to pay for our own oop...adding members takes your paycheck down to only earning a fee hundred bucks a month with a kid and spouse on it).

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Note: we live in Illinois if that changes things at all. I know his previous job was Kentucky which offered another opportunity for continuing coverage, but since we are not residents of Kentucky I figured we did not qualify for this opportunity.

Not sure if you have any recommendations...

Check with the insurance company about state continuation option (mini-COBRA). Both IL and KY have mini-COBRA programs.

Back