Illinois Major Med Needed

tins said:
Oh, I was just going over the numbers again and it just so happens that I'll be able to get you the leads for $74.35. Should be enough left over for you to buy a Kit Kat bar. Only caveat, I'll have to cut your commissions a smidge.

Commission cut!? Oh come on. Give me a break!! Break me off a piece of that kit kat bar...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Boy, that was really lame....

Last edited:
I have a lady, my friends mother, that just got diagnosed with a tumor that needs insurance. She is in her 50's and on disability. She won't be able to get Medicare until October. Is there anything in Illinois that she can get to get her to
October?

Anyone have any input? I seen Illinois has the CHIP plan. Is that the best option for her?

is she on SS disability, or are you saying that she won't get that until October? the CHIP plan isn't horrible. Not great, but it'll get her through until October anyway. She has to have a letter from another company proving she can't get traditional insurance. ICHIP is set up to take people who have been turned down for all other insurance. I've seen people whose rates have been anywhere for 450 to nearly a grand a month, depending on age and type of coverage (ie: deductible, etc)

I don't know much else about it though, since I deal with T65's 99.9% of the time. Sorry I couldn't help more.

is she on SS disability, or are you saying that she won't get that until October? the CHIP plan isn't horrible. Not great, but it'll get her through until October anyway. She has to have a letter from another company proving she can't get traditional insurance. ICHIP is set up to take people who have been turned down for all other insurance. I've seen people whose rates have been anywhere for 450 to nearly a grand a month, depending on age and type of coverage (ie: deductible, etc)

I don't know much else about it though, since I deal with T65's 99.9% of the time. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Thanks for the reply. Yes she is on disability. She gets medicare in Oct. I told her she would prob have to be declined somewhere first and I quoted her a rate of like $1100. She doesn't care at this point, just wants something.

Thanks for the reply. Yes she is on disability. She gets medicare in Oct. I told her she would prob have to be declined somewhere first and I quoted her a rate of like $1100. She doesn't care at this point, just wants something.

She'll be happy to know it won't be near $1100 (unless you meant that for the next few months). :)

Yes, she has to be declined somewhere, get a letter proving it, and send that in with her application for ICHIP. The ICHIP website is pretty easy to navigate, and gives rates as well.

The Traditional Plan is a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plan available only to eligible persons who qualify for coverage because they have been denied major medical coverage due to their health by private insurers and are not eligible for Medicare. To receive maximum benefits under the plan, a designated PPO provider must be used. The Traditional Plan has five standard deductible options to choose from: $500, $1,000, $1,500, $2,500 and $5,000.

from the website:

The Traditional Plan also has deductible options available to persons who qualify for coverage under Section 7 and who are interested in purchasing a plan that qualifies as a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) that can be used in conjunction with a federally approved Health Savings Account (HSA). All covered services and supplies, including prescription drugs, are subject to a deductible which must be satisfied before the plan will pay any benefits. The Traditional Plan has three HDHP deductible options to choose from: $1,200, $2,000 and $5,200. These Traditional Plan HDHD deductible options are subject to change, based on the federal requirements for minimum and maximum deductibles for HDHP Plans.

It'll cost her from around $400 to $800 a month depending on the deductible she chooses. Zero to 5 grand... That depends on where in Illinois she is, of course.

Another exerpt:

Medicare and Traditional Plan Eligibility
The Medicare Plan is for persons under 65 who are eligible for and enrolled in Medicare Parts A & B because of a disability. This is not a Medicare supplement. The policy applies deductibles and copayments to benefits payable once Medicare benefits have been determined. This is sometimes referred to as a Medicare "carve out."

The Traditional Plan is for persons not enrolled in Medicare. It provides benefits through preferred providers, both hospital and physician, from among the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois providers. A preferred provider must be used in order to receive maximum benefits.

Illinois residents may qualify if they meet one of the following criteria:

If they have applied for individual health insurance and have been rejected because of a pre-existing condition;
If they have an individual policy that is substantially similar to CHIP which costs them more than they would pay for CHIP coverage; or
If they have one of 31 presumptive medical conditions, i.e., conditions presumed to result in automatic rejection by an insurance company.
Here's a link to the online application, it'll give you and she an idea of what's needed....

http://www.chip.state.il.us/downloads/StdApp.pdf

Last edited:
Looks like she would be wasting her money then because she will be on Medicare in October. Thanks for the heads up.

My thoughts exactly as I came across this thread and your original post. That's why I alerted you to the Pre-X limitation. Good luck in finding something to tide your client over to October, S-A-I.
-Allen

I had someone in my family get on this program about 18 months ago and I don't remember their pre-existing condition not being covered. Have your mother's friend call the # and ask them to make sure it won't be covered: 800-962-8384 (if in IL). They are pretty helpful, although she may be on hold for a bit. It doesn't hurt to ask. I have no "expertise" to offer in this area, just personal experience.

Back