I'm Giving Up The Ghost

Jeff,

FWIW, I left the insurance business for about 3 yrs. Hated it. I had earned good money but went looking for a new challenge.

What I found was similar to your situation.

The insurance industry isn't perfect, but at least I know who the good guys and bad guys are.

Good luck.

Jeff:

For those of us who have made a reasonably successful career in insurance, we find it "easy" to navigate all the carriers, underwriting, etc. Where we fall down is IM marketing. I think that's the difficult area.

The fact that you are a whiz at the Internet and also understand insurance, is a real advantage for those of us who are willing to pay someone to do the marketing that our skills don't allow.

While I wish you'd give this business another shot, from a completely self-serving basis, I'm glad you're back in the IM field. While you'll make a few bucks from what you do for me, the reality is I'll make a great deal more because of your work.

Rick

You didn't fail.

Nor, did you give up.

You ventured out beyond your current "frame" of knowledge. You gained new information that you can use in future endeavors.

Do yourself a favor. Keep up your CE credits. You never know if this twisty, curvy, road will lead you back in to this business, in some other form, and I would hate to see you have to go through the "credentialing" process, all for nothing.

All you have to do is keep up with 15 hrs a year. That's it. Three of it being ethics, and the rest, anything else. It can be done online, one or two days, here and there, and boom, it's still active.

I don't care if you vow to never be an insurance agent again, you will regret it. It is, at the most, $65 a year, if you have to pay for it - unless you do it online.

The knowledge you gained, will serve you well in the industry you are currently in - you just don't realize it now.

Failure - no
Quitter - no
Learner - yes
Professional - yes

You won't need good luck, because you've already enriched yourself.

But everyday, when I get a potential client, it's like solving a puzzle. All of the pieces have to fit. Figuring out the best situation for a person isn't always easy. Nobody but an agent realizes what goes into it or the pressure & responsibility you face when basically choosing coverage for a family to protect their health and assets.
On top of that you have to build a huge trust factor with a complete stranger that you probably haven't seen face to face.
Call me strange, but I get a rush out of solving the puzzle and knowing I'm helping someone big time, even if they don't realize it.
:cool:

Well said!

I find that I have many problems dealing with health insurance as well - that's why I like to concentrate on life insurance. To each his own. There is a niche out there for everyone. We need good "web guys" around as well.

Back