I'm Planning on Becoming an Agent.

SEMichigan

So I would like to become and insurance agent and eventually own an independent P&C agency. I currently work in sales in a separate industry.

I know I need my license and my question is would it be a logical for me to quit my current job get my license and then start my insurance job search or should I wait until I have an insurance job offer to quit my job and start the licensing process?

I ask this because I know the general advice is to never quit your job until you have the next one lined up but I have to think that in this case with education and licensing requirement maybe it would be OK. I have been told from one source it is much easier to get a job in insurance once you are licensed.

I am in my 20's recently out of school and living with my parents so I could easily afford a few months of not working while looking for a job.

Go ahead and get your license while working at your current job. That's just smart planning.

The only advantage to waiting, would be that many career agencies may reimburse you for your licensing costs and/or have discounts on prelicensing training.

Go ahead and get your license while working at your current job. That's just smart planning.

The only advantage to waiting, would be that many career agencies may reimburse you for your licensing costs and/or have discounts on prelicensing training.

I've considered that though how am I supposed to take my class if i'm working full time.

I've considered that though how am I supposed to take my class if i'm working full time.

If you have to ask, this might not be the right career for you.

(the answer is in your spare time... like at night or on weekends)

You arent going to have the chance to get paid until you are licensed. Once you are actually licensed, it will likely be 1-2 months before you get paid commissions (depending on the product and carrier).

Also, you have a much higher likelihood of being hired if you are already licensed. Agencies prefer to hire licensed agents over non-licensed potential agents. Tons of online courses out there, if you are serious then you need to complete one in your spare time.

This is a Career, not a job. Careers like this take effort above and beyond what a "job" requires.

Assuming you are from SE Michigan (as your screen name indicates). Go check out the Kaplan schedule. I believe they offer several Friday - Sunday courses to prepare you for the exam and they are held in either Troy or Southfield.

I think you would be making a mistake to quit your current job to prepare for this exam...

If you have to ask, this might not be the right career for you.

(the answer is in your spare time... like at night or on weekends)

You arent going to have the chance to get paid until you are licensed. Once you are actually licensed, it will likely be 1-2 months before you get paid commissions (depending on the product and carrier).

Also, you have a much higher likelihood of being hired if you are already licensed. Agencies prefer to hire licensed agents over non-licensed potential agents. Tons of online courses out there, if you are serious then you need to complete one in your spare time.

This is a Career, not a job. Careers like this take effort above and beyond what a "job" requires.

I’m kinda confused by your point. Your saying my current job requires me to work during the available class time in my area means insurance is a not the right career for me?

----------

Assuming you are from SE Michigan (as your screen name indicates). Go check out the Kaplan schedule. I believe they offer several Friday - Sunday courses to prepare you for the exam and they are held in either Troy or Southfield.

I think you would be making a mistake to quit your current job to prepare for this exam...

I understand your point but as long as I’m employed I will not be available to tame the Kaplan class. I wont have any time off for several more months so not only will I not have availability for the class I won’t have availability for interviews with agencies.

My biggest concern is that not being currently employed will be held against me and my question is will that be overlooked if left my last job so I could take the class and exam.

I’m kinda confused by your point. Your saying my current job requires me to work during the available class time in my area means insurance is a not the right career for me?

No. Im saying the fact you cant figure out how to overcome this relatively simple obstacle, means it might not be the right career for you.

In-person local classes are not your only option.

---------

The insurance agency will not care if you quite to pursue insurance.... the biggest concern there is having money to survive while not making an income. You want to be licensed before going into the interview if at all possible.

No. Im saying the fact you cant figure out how to overcome this relatively simple obstacle, means it might not be the right career for you.

In-person local classes are not your only option.

I’m aware of online courses and did take a few in grad school. I know I learn bstter with a real class and a real teacher.

I’m aware of online courses and did take a few in grad school. I know I learn bstter with a real class and a real teacher.

If you want something, you have to take it how you can get it. Not how you prefer to get it.

The insurance test is not learning rocket science. And you will learn just enough to know that you still know nothing about insurance after the classes/exam. The real learning comes after the insurance exam.

If you can afford to not have income for a few months... in order to take a test that you might not even pass... in order to get hired at a firm that might not even hire you... then go for it. If not, take the online class.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine on yours?

Do you have sick pay? Use it.

Do you have vacation time? Use it.

Even if you don't - can you take a week off for "jury duty"? Other family issues? Whatever it takes - that is, if you're driven to do it.

However, you are looking at every obstacle to doing your job as MORE IMPORTANT than "getting your classes your way".

Let me help you: If it's OUR job to do the thinking FOR you... don't bother with this industry. This industry will chew you up and spit you out. It is NOT for the faint of heart or the weak minded.

The next thing you'll tell us is that "I'll only call on people who are expecting my call."

This business takes guts and a spine - particularly in the early years. I'd suggest finding yours before getting a license that requires both.

This is NOT an "ivory tower" management job that you'd expect to get an MBA to do. I would venture to guess that there are very few MBAs who go into insurance as an agent (compared to most agents). In fact, your educational accomplishments COULD be a hindrance to your success as an agent - because you'll begin to think that, when it gets "too hard", that there are easier ways to earn a living. It's actually easier to quit when you have a high end education because you believe you can earn more while working less - because you're "so smart".

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...earn-27-430-top-10-earn-128-070-a-t88843.html

Back