I'm Really Starting to Dislike CFG

I picked them up some time ago, and never wrote a policy with them. They don't seem to have a niche that I can see and their prices are out of line compared to better companies.

So earlier this year, I get a letter stating that one of my clients had passed on and that I should reach out to the family.

Only I'm not the agent. I never wrote a policy with them, etc. I contact the company and alert them of the error. Everyone goes "Oops" we have a chuckle and move on.

Now it's about 3 months later. I get a phone call. Seems one of my clients wanted to change something in their policy. They called me several times, wrote me emails, etc.

Now they are very upset with me because it's past the client's 30 days and they can't change the policy.

ONLY THEY ARE NOT MY CLIENT! I HAVE NEVER WRITTEN A CFG POLICY!!!

If this is the way they do business regularly I don't think I ever will write a policy with them.

CFG Is that Columbian Financial Group?

If so, they have a very bad reputation in Michigan. Lots of fraud committed by the agents. They took over a company called Mutual of Detroit, that basically got shut down by the state. Lots of debit policies with disappearing cash value. Columbian seems to condone that behavior. Any company who would take over those orphan policy holders should reap what they sew.

I used to replace them all the time. Now I just tend to pack up and leave. More bother than they are worth.

... Any company who would take over those orphan policy holders should reap what they sew. ....

Only if the company condones and continues to allow such behavior. Sometimes when you make a purchase, particularly a distressed one, you don't always know what you are getting.

In the past I had several run ins with the regional manager of Columbian. He took over agents from Mutual of Detroit and knew exactly what they were doing and allowed it to happen.

Forging signatures, improper replacements and missing cash payments happened on a routine basis at MoD and they continue to allow them to happen at Columbian.

Also when you call Columbian to get cash values on MoD policies they bounce you all over the place between different locations and when you get to the right place they often times refuse to give cash values over the phone. They say they have to send it out via mail. Then, low and behold, the client you are working with gets a call from an agent from Columbian.

Then when you consider MoD business was mostly bottom of the barrel business anyway, I decided its best just to walk away.

In the past I had several run ins with the regional manager of Columbian. He took over agents from Mutual of Detroit and knew exactly what they were doing and allowed it to happen.

Forging signatures, improper replacements and missing cash payments happened on a routine basis at MoD and they continue to allow them to happen at Columbian.

Also when you call Columbian to get cash values on MoD policies they bounce you all over the place between different locations and when you get to the right place they often times refuse to give cash values over the phone. They say they have to send it out via mail. Then, low and behold, the client you are working with gets a call from an agent from Columbian.

Then when you consider MoD business was mostly bottom of the barrel business anyway, I decided its best just to walk away.

A real shame. I have no personal experience with Columbian, so I was not saying that to defend that. But I see they are continuing the same antics and I completely agree with you feeling the way you do.

Back when I was new in FE, about 9 years ago, I used to write a little Columbian. They were quite good for very unhealthy people. Other than that, there was no real reason to use them.

I believe in karma and I also believe in "guilt by association". Columbian is guilty on both counts in my book.

Well I did get it straightened out. I actually did contact the woman in question and she's in the wrong policy to begin with.

Since the original agent - who shares my name except for a middle initial - is a moron and didn't do his job (hey, she called him for weeks and tried sending emails and he never followed up)...I don't feel guilty in replacing this policy.

I might be able to pull a double if I'm lucky.

Well I did get it straightened out. I actually did contact the woman in question and she's in the wrong policy to begin with.

Since the original agent - who shares my name except for a middle initial - is a moron and didn't do his job (hey, she called him for weeks and tried sending emails and he never followed up)...I don't feel guilty in replacing this policy.

I might be able to pull a double if I'm lucky.

So stop saying anything to CFG, take the free leads and go work them.

Back