I'm Sick of Sales - Yes, Really!

Sep 12, 2016

1. TampaHound

TampaHound Guru

State:
    Florida
    As I look back on my various jobs I've done since I've been 16...one thing sticks out.

A lot of them have been sales jobs.

Well I've not made myself rich, I've done okay. I own my home in a nice neighborhood. I own two cars and a motorcycle I love. I have money in the bank (but could always use more).

I got into life insurance by accident after I lost a corporate trainer job with 3M. Now after 2 years of being a phone jockey for a call center in Tampa, I want to do something different.

Most of my experience is in banking (over 10+ years) where I worked in lending and customer service. I have 2 years of insurance (inside) sales experience.

I've been a manager, a supervisor and a trainer.

My question is this....what do I need to know to get into claims or underwriting? I am 50 years old and am looking for a company that I can spend the rest of my days with. :GEEK:

2. pcbinsurance

pcbinsurance Guru

State:
    Florida
    Try USAA in Tampa. They just might train you in claims or underwriting.

It's worth a shot. They are a great company to work for and I enjoyed my time there.

3. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    USAA - great company. I second that.

4. bmarsh

bmarsh Super Genius

State:
    Florida
    Humana is also in Tampa, if thats where you live.

bmarsh, Sep 4, 2018
  5. somarco

somarco GA Medicare Expert

State:
    Georgia
    This thread is 2 years old.

Looks like Hound is still in sales.

But there may be others in his situation.

somarco, Sep 4, 2018
  6. Stephen

Stephen Guru

State:
    Arkansas
    How have the last 2 years been TH, did you get your mojo back?

Stephen, Sep 4, 2018
  7. TampaHound

TampaHound Guru

State:
    Florida
    Yes and no. My job really hasn't changed that much. Sure, I get to train a bit, I get to coach a bit without the stress of having to support myself strictly from sales. That being said, I've been burned out for some time. Nor am I making the type of money that I'm used to making.

Is "my mojo back?" No. However I'm not sure what I can do other than sales. I do my job, I do it well (at or over goal most months/persistency at 87%)...but I'm ready for something else. I need to do something else for a bit.

It's time for me to move on.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  8. Stephen

Stephen Guru

State:
    Arkansas
    I hate to hear that , I hope that you are able to find something that suits you and pays you the kind of money that you are accustomed too.

Stephen, Sep 4, 2018
  9. Newby

Newby Guru

State:
    Indiana
    Maybe just a different type of sales. When I got burnt out in motorcycle sales and first got into this I thought I died and went to heaven. It wasn't any easier but it was all new to me and that excited me.

There are all kinds of great sales jobs out in the world. Some of them you never think about. I was buying some plumbing fixtures from Fergusons recently (A high end outlet for plumbing and fixtures and appliances) and the sales people all seem to be doing pretty well. It always makes me think Well there is another sort of hidden sales job that you never think about. But those sales are huge.

Some people sell swimming pools, remodeling jobs, solar panels, sun rooms, replacement windows, and I'm sure the top producers in all those industries makes good money.

Life is too short to not enjoy what you do for 8+ hours per day.

Newby, Sep 4, 2018
  10. Life Hawk

Life Hawk Guru

State:
    Illinois
    Your in a mid-life skid... think about it... what else could you until you turn 100... :yes:

Think if yourself as in construction... what have you built so far?