I'm Sick of Sales - Yes, Really!

You like motorcycles. Have you looked into selling motorcycles, or doing something in that industry. Maybe Newby might still have some contacts in the industry he could hook you up with.

It’s a different industry now. I started in that business 42 years ago. Left it 23 years ago.

There was no internet effect yet. No cell phones. Let alone smart phones.

I’m sure there are people still killing it in that biz. But I’m not connected to them.

It’s a different industry now. I started in that business 42 years ago. Left it 23 years ago.

There was no internet effect yet. No cell phones. Let alone smart phones.

I’m sure there are people still killing it in that biz. But I’m not connected to them.

A buddy of mine and I test drove some new Triumph's recently and I was in love with one of the Street Twins. So much so that I would have bought it on the spot....expect the salesman was to pushy LOL

@TampaHound are you still selling life only? If so, maybe you can find a way into a multi-line agency and start writing some P&C. Or just get into P&C and focus more on the service side, since P&C business requires ongoing policy service.

As of Oct 1, I will no longer be in sales. I'm just burned out. I've been in phone sales of one sort of another since the age of 18 (collected money for charities) and I'm just burned out.

Yes, I could have stuck around for AEP and made some serious scratch but my family is undergoing some serious changes (my father is very ill and my wife's mother is showing the first signs of early onset Alzheimer's) . My wife is considering a job offer out of Florida that is to good to pass up. For all these reasons and more, I figured it was a good time to go.

So I may lurk. I may comment from time to time. My boss here has ensured me that my job will be here if I ever desire to come back. I may end up back in insurance. You just never know.

I have enough savings to live comfortably for about 3 - 6 months while I consider my options.

So thanks for making me laugh, smile, pissed off, questioning what I knew. I may have learned some things here (doubtful as that may be).

As of Oct 1, I will no longer be in sales. I'm just burned out. I've been in phone sales of one sort of another since the age of 18 (collected money for charities) and I'm just burned out.

Yes, I could have stuck around for AEP and made some serious scratch but my family is undergoing some serious changes (my father is very ill and my wife's mother is showing the first signs of early onset Alzheimer's) . My wife is considering a job offer out of Florida that is to good to pass up. For all these reasons and more, I figured it was a good time to go.

So I may lurk. I may comment from time to time. My boss here has ensured me that my job will be here if I ever desire to come back. I may end up back in insurance. You just never know.

I have enough savings to live comfortably for about 3 - 6 months while I consider my options.

So thanks for making me laugh, smile, pissed off, questioning what I knew. I may have learned some things here (doubtful as that may be).

Best of luck in whatever you end up doing. :yes:

Best of luck to you..

May your days be bright... your eveings peacful... and what ever road you choose next bring you fulfillment and happiness... :yes:

Wait until you find out there isn't an easier or better way to make money.

The key to being happy in sales is to be selling a product you really, truly believe in. A product that you know is important to the people buying it, a product that will make their life better (in some way) and a product that is beneficial to people at large. If you find that, and let it motivate you, all the "no's" you may be discouraged about mean very little.

And let's be clear, the downside of selling is rejection. Rejection is very negative, most people can't handle it because they take it personally. Rejection can be depressing.

I have had the privilege to be selling something I believe in since 1979. It is one big reason I will never retire from what I do.

Last edited:
Back