Immediate Disenrollment???

bigeats

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
A client whose mom was moving into the state from another is leaving behind an MAPD plan - and wanted to enroll in a gap plan with standalone PDP. In the evening on May 31st, I took her app for the gap and assisted in enrollment in the PDP on Medicare.gov... expecting that the effective date for the PDP would be July 1st. Apparently - it is not. Somehow they enrolled her IMMEDIATELY into the PDP and got her kicked out of her MAPD... and now she is without protection (outside of Original Medicare) until her gap policy is issued.

Has anyone heard of immediate enrollment into a PDP - along with the immediate disenrollment from an MAPD? This is a new one on me...

A client whose mom was moving into the state from another is leaving behind an MAPD plan - and wanted to enroll in a gap plan with standalone PDP. In the evening on May 31st, I took her app for the gap and assisted in enrollment in the PDP on Medicare.gov... expecting that the effective date for the PDP would be July 1st. Apparently - it is not. Somehow they enrolled her IMMEDIATELY into the PDP and got her kicked out of her MAPD... and now she is without protection (outside of Original Medicare) until her gap policy is issued.

Has anyone heard of immediate enrollment into a PDP - along with the immediate disenrollment from an MAPD? This is a new one on me...
I would have said it is always the the first day of the month following the enrollment if you let it default. You should have done it on June 1st.

Also, hopefully you know you may have to go GI on the med sup ap, unless she is perfectly healthy....and there goes your commission.

Not my primary area....but that's my understanding.

Last edited:
without protection (outside of Original Medicare) until her gap policy is issued.

Did you pick a June 1 or July 1 effective date for the gap? Did you submit the Medigap app electronically on the last day of May or mail/fax it in?

If you were paying attention, Medicare.gov doesn't have any place for a proposed effective date. However, there should have been a field for you to enter the move date. What date did you enter there? If you entered a date in June that would help your argument that the plan needs to cancel the PDP that started 6/1 and reprocess it for a 7/1/17 start date. If you're not able to get any help from the plan, I would call CMS to ask them to change the end date of the MAPD and start date of the PDP. The plan probably won't talk to you though since you're not the agent of record for the PDP.

I would have said it is always the the first day of the month following the enrollment. You should have done it on June 1st.

Also, hopefully you know you may have to go GI on the med sup ap, unless she is perfectly healthy....and there goes your commission.

Not my primary area....but that's my understanding.

I'm used to thinking that apps processed after the 15th have an effective date of the first of the following month.

----------

Did you pick a June 1 or July 1 effective date for the gap? Did you submit the Medigap app electronically on the last day of May or mail/fax it in?

July 1st electronically on May 31st.

----------

If you were paying attention, Medicare.gov doesn't have any place for a proposed effective date. However, there should have been a field for you to enter the move date. What date did you enter there? If you entered a date in June that would help your argument that the plan needs to cancel the PDP that started 6/1 and reprocess it for a 7/1/17 start date. If you're not able to get any help from the plan, I would call CMS to ask them to change the end date of the MAPD and start date of the PDP. The plan probably won't talk to you though since you're not the agent of record for the PDP.

Yeah I was having trouble with Aetna's Ascend program... so I went to Medicare.gov to simply facilitate it. I can't recall the date that was used. Client is going to call Medicare to see what they'll do.

Not good because now she has used up her Change of Residence SEP in case she needed to go with mapd if med supp isnt approved .Have her call medicare and explain-maybe it will be easy to reverse or maybe not

Back