Immigrating to MN with Wife, Navigators Unresponsive

InsuranceNewbie88

Hi all,

This is my first post here. My wife (Chinese) and I (American) are moving to MN this June. We've gone through the immigration process, she has to visa and our flight is booked. We're set to go. But my wife needs health insurance. She went through breast cancer treatment in 2017/18, and we need to get insurance for her medications and so she can see a doctor for check ups and some tests (the medical team here in China had a high botch rate when it came to her tests).

Anyways, I've been trying for over a month now to get information from some marketplace navigators but have either not gotten a response, or when I do I get conflicting information. I am trying to figure out if we can apply for her insurance now, while we're in China or if we have to be in MN in order to apply. The main reason to apply now is so she can see a doctor straightaway, rather than having to wait until her insurance kicks in. I've been abroad for three years, but I've still filed state taxes to maintain my residence status. We have a domicile already. The main thing we're missing is her SSN and Green Card number, which she'll receive once we're there.

The other question is whether or not she can receive MinnesotaCare. Again, I tried contacting MN DHS but they gave me a canned response. The main reason I ask is because she will be a permanent resident, she is not allowed to receive federal aid. I don't have a clue if that applies to state governments though.

Thanks for reading this far. If you have any resources or tips you can share, I'd really appreciate it!

tl;dr
Is it okay to apply for health insurance through the MN marketplace, knowing we're moving there but haven't arrived? Are immigrants allowed to receive MinnesotaCare?

Back