Impaired Risk Case Needs Carrier: 1M

TxJohnny

Super Genius
Hello. I'm hoping one of you independent life vets can recommend a GUL carrier for this case:

Male 75 NT 5' 8" 160 w/pacemaker since 1990; replaced 1997, 2005;
Mild CAD
Bariatric surgery in 2005;

Excellent control w/meds HBP (110/65);
Total Chol < 200;

Avid bike rider: 10+ miles weekly;
Excellent diet high on fish and vegetables;

Family History:
father deceased age 90 heart attack;
mother deceased age 83 stroke;
3 sibling alive and reportedly healthy;

Open forum answers are welcomed. PM's are okay too.

Thank you.

Note: edited out defib. Does not have a combo unit pacemaker.

Last edited:
"Cardioverter defibrillator devices are implanted to automatically treat serious potential lethal tachyarrhythymias. Conversely pacemakers are generally used to treat symptomatic bradyarrhythmias. In patients with the potential for both symptomatic slow rhythms and life threatening fast rhythms, combination devices that function both as a pacemaker and as a cardioverter defibrillator are sometimes implanted. Cardioverter defibrillators improve mortality in patients known to have episodes of serious tachyarrhythmias (e.g. ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation). They do not however prevent all sudden deaths. Persons with cardiac histories requiring treatment with an AICD or a combination AICD and pacemaker are not insurable for individual coverage."

If this fits...decline for traditional. It's not the pacemaker--that would be table B-D..it's the combination with defib.

@PICnic ==> Thank you for your reply. My mistake, his unit is not a defib, I was confusing cases. I've since edited the OP.

@PICnic ==> Thank you for your reply. My mistake, his unit is not a defib, I was confusing cases. I've since edited the OP.

Just an FYI, Pinney is great for these type cases. Not only do they have an in house underwriter if you need to switch companies due to a OTA offer they can do so almost seamlessly.

A few good GUL carriers to go to would be North American, Genworth, PRU. You need to have the client pre-screened to find the best fit though.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, Pinney is great for these type cases. Not only do they have an in house underwriter if you need to switch companies due to a OTA offer they can do so almost seamlessly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you contract through them? If so, is there more you can share?

Back