In Home Presentation for Auto/Home/Life

mferrara

I am an active reserve agent with Farmers Insurance, have been in training for a few weeks, should be appointed with Farmers by the end of next week, so I am getting closer to the point where I will be able to go out and prospect working on that first appointment. Now since I am new at this whole thing and like all agents starting out don't have any funds for an office, I am strictly working out of the house. My question is how did your first couple of in house presentations go when you were staring out? In class they tell us to just use F.O.R.E (Family, Occupation, Recreation, Enjoyment) to gain rappor, however, this is easier said then done. I would like to hear from all of you actively in the field doing in home presentations. How was your first time, how did it go, and after how many presentations did you start to feel comfortable? Any tips as well would be greatly appreciated it. I look forward to your responses!

I am an active reserve agent with Farmers Insurance, have been in training for a few weeks, should be appointed with Farmers by the end of next week, so I am getting closer to the point where I will be able to go out and prospect working on that first appointment. Now since I am new at this whole thing and like all agents starting out don't have any funds for an office, I am strictly working out of the house. My question is how did your first couple of in house presentations go when you were staring out? In class they tell us to just use F.O.R.E (Family, Occupation, Recreation, Enjoyment) to gain rappor, however, this is easier said then done. I would like to hear from all of you actively in the field doing in home presentations. How was your first time, how did it go, and after how many presentations did you start to feel comfortable? Any tips as well would be greatly appreciated it. I look forward to your responses!

Rapport is bullschit. If you get in front of someone, all they want is price and service. If it was 1940, then that F.O.R.E. crap would work.

Just my opinion and I might very well be wrong.

Rick

Based on almost 20 years experience in the business, this would be my advice: whatever Farmer's tells you to do, to be successful, DO THE OPPOSITE.

They should have a clue, but the truth is they don't.

PS-I'm not pickin' on 'em, it's not just them.

....I guess it's kinda telling when you're in Farmers training yet rely on a message board to figure out how to gain business. So much for Farmers - seems as worthless at tits on a bull.

Geesh, alot of negativity here. My goal was not to start a Farmers bashing discussion, all I am trying to accomplish is some tips of the trade from those of you that have had experience in the field. I was hoping to hear some first time stories is all.

Well this might be controversial but here goes;

I've done in-home presentations for years and rapport before the presentation is generally a mistake.

The reason is it comes across as buttering them up for the kill and eludes that a product or price is going to be introduced that is not going to be what the client is looking for.

The pet the dog, compliment the house, etc...is for freezer plans and time shares.

I came in and politely got down to business. For me, rapport came after I closed the deal and that was the time we shot the ****.

My advice is come in, be professional and impress people with your knowledge and concern over matching them with the right product instead of striking up rapport before the pitch.

healthagent, thank you for your advice, I appreciate it. I know if you asked me what it was like to take the mound in a championship game for the first time I could tell you that it sure was nerve racking and scary. I remember looking at the first batter, he was sure a big fella. Hoping I would be able to throw consistent strikes. After I threw that first pitch for a ball, I was like oh man here we go, but once I settled down and got that first strike, it sure felt good. After that first strike out I was in the zone, etc.... You know just a little insight as to what it is like sitting in front of a customer in there own home being under the gun...

Back