In Need of a Fresh Start

maddydogg

Long story short is I had a terrible family tragedy followed by my home collapsing due to the weight of snow and ice. I was formerly with New York Life from 2005- 2/14/11. Due to some butting of heads with my managing partner and the inability to sell(due to extenuating circumstancs) I received a termination letter. I was a council agent for 2 of 5 years and won the Eastern Zone prize for annuity sales in 2006 as the top producing agent in terms of FYC. Fast Forward to today and I have National Brokers Network and American Income Life calling me and I really have no idea what is legit and what is fly by night. Any thoughts guys? My license is in good standing but I really don't know what to believe anymore. Any advice is appreciated.

Best,
Maddy

Last edited:
Who is your market?

What are you selling?

Do you use a particular selling process?

Are you planning to change markets &/or product lines?

Are you looking for a broker/dealer as well as insurance companies to represent?

Just because you've sold a lot doesn't mean that we can read between the lines of your post to guess what you're looking for.

MassMutual, Guardian, and Northwestern Mutual should be in the phone book. If you keep production reports, and the fall off hasn't been too long, I'm sure Mass Mutual and Guardian will take care of you.

Who is your market?

What are you selling?

Do you use a particular selling process?

Are you planning to change markets &/or product lines?

Are you looking for a broker/dealer as well as insurance companies to represent?

Just because you've sold a lot doesn't mean that we can read between the lines of your post to guess what you're looking for.
Sorry I should have been more specific, I am open to finding a broker dealer and my business was mostly term, with some whole life, a difficult sale in this economy and alot of rollovers. I also did alot of work with seniors and lazy money, eg fixed annuities ver cd's etc. I basically sold everything NYL pushed, but the Boston General Office just got too large and they were just throwing anything against the wall to see what stuck, and inevitably were putting some shady people across the kitchen table from prospects.

I would give AIL a shot.

Are you planning on doing your own marketing or looking for a lead source? The real value of AIL is that they give you leads and a system. If you are already good at generating your own business then you should get hooked up with an FMO or a GA and start doing your own thing.

NYL has trouble dealing with agent personal problems. For me, it was my health that went south.

After I left NYL I looked at being independent. There's an old saying "if you're going to work for an asshole, work for the guy in the mirror." There should be several opportunities out there for you.

If you're looking for a BD, I could say look at Symetra, it's where I am and they're OK people.

The big thing I found was after butting heads with sales managers overe BS issues, the thought of going back to work underneath another one, just didn't appeal.

Good Luck.

I had a funny feeling about American Income Life. In comparison to NYL, they're a mickey mouse shop. I don't think you'd be happy with their leads to sell supplemental life coverage to union members.

I'm not so sure I'd go to another career agency either. You are successful with the way NYL trained you based on what you've written. Why go to another career agency for 1/2 the pay?

I'd take a look at Ohio National and ONESCO B/D. Be an independent agent and your life production will count towards your B/D production too. Search the board here and get an idea of what others have said. Then you can go to their website and contact them directly. Just make sure you buy some E&O or get it directly from Ohio National.

As long as you don't need any additional training in prospecting... Ohio National will have just about everything else you'll need without the office politics!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And Ohio National embraces Infinite Banking, LEAP & Circle of Wealth selling systems! (Things that I'm told were "forbidden" at NYL!)

Last edited:
I had a funny feeling about American Income Life. In comparison to NYL, they're a mickey mouse shop. I don't think you'd be happy with their leads to sell supplemental life coverage to union members.

I'm not so sure I'd go to another career agency either. You are successful with the way NYL trained you based on what you've written. Why go to another career agency for 1/2 the pay?

I'd take a look at Ohio National and ONESCO B/D. Be an independent agent and your life production will count towards your B/D production too. Search the board here and get an idea of what others have said. Then you can go to their website and contact them directly. Just make sure you buy some E&O or get it directly from Ohio National.

As long as you don't need any additional training in prospecting... Ohio National will have just about everything else you'll need without the office politics!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And Ohio National embraces Infinite Banking, LEAP & Circle of Wealth selling systems! (Things that I'm told were "forbidden" at NYL!)

I agree with DHK. NYL is at one end of the food chain and AIL is at the other. Either go INDY or talk to MM or Guardian.

I agree with DHK. ONESCO is a great BD for the independent guy. Your life business is direct with them or any other carrier you write with. As DHK mentioned, any life business done with Ohio National counts toward your GDC levels as well. And they have great life products too. If you do fixed or index annuities, they don't run through ONESCO either.

If you can prospect and generate your own leads, there's no reason to not go the independent route. And I would run the other direction from AIL. Based on what you've said you've done in the past, they wouldn't be a fit for you.

Good luck!

Back