In not NAA or Primerica ....where

The problem with the bachelors degree

David C,

You are right, without a doubt. :yes: It was my fault for not fully stating both sides.

I did find a great speech about the problem with our educational system by Ken Robinson. He specifically refers to what I was trying to say - though I'm not as good of a communicator as him - the problem with the bachelors degree today.

It's 20 minutes long and pretty good but if you want to cut to the point regarding the degree, it is at the 12:20 mark.

He says

“Suddenly degrees aren’t worth anything, isn’t that true? When I was a student, if you had a degree you had a job. If you didn’t have a job it’s because you didn’t want one. And I didn’t have one because I didn’t one.
But now kids without degrees are often heading home to carry on playing video games because you need an MA where the previous job required a BA and now you need a PHD. It’s a process of academic inflation and it indicates the whole structure of education is shifting beneath our feet.”
Here is the link to the video
James

Education in any form is good to have. Our society has pigeon-holed certain educational fields into desirable and undesirable categories. Truth is we need every single one of them, and the more you learn, whether through formal education or school of hard-knocks, it's all good. Some of them are an end to a mean, others are life-long passions.
Insurance Sales is not taught formally outside of some risk management course. Math majors also go into the actuarial departments, but it may not be a bad curriculum to offer which would elevate its status. And therein lies the problem. Anyone can get into this profession with little effort and no training, and because it's not a formally studied profession, not too many people selling insurance today thought as a child " I want to be an insurance salesman/woman when I grow up" Not considered a glamarous or desirable field... I should add firemen and policemen are also possible admired, and not formally taught as well, but needed. That's my 2 cents worth...
Alph=red-o:laugh:

Back