Inadvertently cancelled Part B and had MAPD plan cancelled

JJ2713

Guru
I don't know all the minor details, but here it is...

Wife already receiving Social Security so her Part B is automatically deducted form Social Security.
Husband not yet taking Social Security, so was paying Part B manually (check or credit card, don't know).
Husband started paying Part B premium electronically (online banking, don't think it was EasyPay).
Husband was sending Part B premium to wife's account instead of his when he started paying online.
Husband, technically, wasn't paying his Part B and had it cancelled.
Wife has a surplus in her account of like 4 months due to Husband paying into it instead of his account.
Husband then has his MAPD plan cancelled, since you need both Part A and B for a MAPD plan.
After realizing what happened, Husband won't pay anymore Part B until Medicare rectifies the account balances. Husband is a bit stubborn.
Husband and wife don't understand how Medicare works. The penalties involved, enrollment periods, Wife thinks Part B is her MAPD, thinks MAPD is a supplement, etc.

They are trying to fix the situation. I'm not sure if Medicare will recognize the honest mistake the Husband made.

If it can't be fixed, then...
Husband will only have Part A for now.
Husband can re-enroll in Part B during the General Enrollment Period (Jan-March of 2019), but coverage doesn't kick-in until July 1 2019.
Husband will not have Part B or any additional coverage (MedSupp or MAPD) for a long time.
Husband can then get a MedSupp in July 2019.
Or sign-up for an MAPD during AEP 2019 for Jan 1 2020 effective date.
Husband can also get a Part D plan right now in the meantime to at least have Part D coverage.

Is this all correct?

Could Husband file an appeal for coverage to get Part B back quicker, so he can at least either go for a MedSupp for the rest of the year and then go for the MAPD during AEP for Jan 1. effective date? In this area, they will have an MAPD long-term, not a MedSupp.

What a mess.

Be gentle in your response.

I know these people; they're relatives. They simply don't know anything about Medicare, which is partially on them for not learning anything. The agent who sold them their MAPD plan also didn't educate them at all about anything (just sign here garbage).

There is an MAPD reinstatement process for those who lose Part B (and this is my addition -- expect to get it back without lapse otherwise the reinstatement is pointless). You can start this process now, but I would recommend starting it once you know SSA will correct his Part B so there is no lapse. Simply call the MA customer service and ask for reinstatement due to losing and regaining Part B.

As for your list of scenarios, if he did have to wait for the GEP to have Part B start 7/1/19, he'll have an ICEP from 4/1 to 6/30 to enroll into an MA/MAPD to start 7/1/19. No need to wait until AEP for coverage to start 1/1/20.

There is an MAPD reinstatement process for those who lose Part B (and this is my addition -- expect to get it back without lapse otherwise the reinstatement is pointless). You can start this process now, but I would recommend starting it once you know SSA will correct his Part B so there is no lapse. Simply call the MA customer service and ask for reinstatement due to losing and regaining Part B.

As for your list of scenarios, if he did have to wait for the GEP to have Part B start 7/1/19, he'll have an ICEP from 4/1 to 6/30 to enroll into an MA/MAPD to start 7/1/19. No need to wait until AEP for coverage to start 1/1/20.

It's not looking like he can get back Part B before January, therefore the effective date will be July 1, 2020.

Are you saying that he'll have another Initial Coverage Election Period for MAPD since he's signing up for Part B in January, with the new ICEP lasting for 3 months before July 1?

But he already had his ICEP when he turned 65. He gets another ICEP even though he technically cancelled his Part B?

Should he also get a Part D plan right now?

He doesn't really take any drugs.

I know there is a penalty for not enrolling in Part D.

However, he will eventually go back to a MAPD plan, not a MedSupp and Part D plan.

So, for right now he has Part A. He will get a short-term health insurance policy. And perhaps a Part D plan.

It's not looking like he can get back Part B before January, therefore the effective date will be July 1, 2020.

Are you saying that he'll have another Initial Coverage Election Period for MAPD since he's signing up for Part B in January, with the new ICEP lasting for 3 months before July 1?

But he already had his ICEP when he turned 65. He gets another ICEP even though he technically cancelled his Part B?

You know next year is 2019, right? Age is only one factor with the ICEP. The key is that he's getting a new Part B start date, so yes, he gets the ICEP -- the 3 months before 7/1.

Should he also get a Part D plan right now?

He doesn't really take any drugs.

I know there is a penalty for not enrolling in Part D.

However, he will eventually go back to a MAPD plan, not a MedSupp and Part D plan.

So, for right now he has Part A. He will get a short-term health insurance policy. And perhaps a Part D plan.

Yes, he should pick up a PDP. He gets a special election due to the loss of Part B.

From CMS:
SEP for Individuals Involuntarily Disenrolled from an MA-PD plan due to loss of Part B - Individuals who are involuntarily disenrolled from an MA-PD plan due to loss of Part B but who continue to be entitled to Part A have a SEP to enroll in a PDP. The SEP begins when the individual is advised of the loss of Part B and continues for two additional months.

Back