Increased rates: not at fault accident, repairs paid out of pocket?

asus389

I live in Michigan and have Progressive auto insurance. In January of this year I was rear ended by another driver. There was very minor damage to my rear bumper and their front and no injuries.

The local police Dept and they said they typically don’t respond to minor situations like this. (Damage less than $1000 and no injuries). So we exchanged info, took pictures, and went on our way.

I got two estimates. The cost to repair my bumper was less than my deductible so I paid out of pocket. I never notified my insurance. I have no idea what the other person did.

This week I got the renewal offer for my insurance and it was suspiciously high. I did a manual quote for myself with my same VIN on progressive.com and it was almost $200 less per 6 months than the renewal. I asked progressive about the discrepancy and they cited a report of “damage” to my car.

Since I was 100% not at fault here, progressive didn’t pay a claim (I paid out of pocket), and frankly didn’t even notify them, can they raise my rates? How did the “damage” even make it into the record if no police report was made and no claim was filed? Is there something I can do to correct this situation? It seems quite unfair that my rates would jump ~30% for being the victim of a minor fender bender and paying out of pocket.

can they raise my rates?

Obviously they CAN raise your rates because they DID raise your rates.

How did the “damage” even make it into the record if no police report was made and no claim was filed?

My guess is that the other driver made a claim on his/her own policy, gave your information for the claim and the claim ended up on your CLUE report, which you can get at:

LexisNexis Personal Reports

Is there something I can do to correct this situation?

Sure. Find another insurance company with better rates.

I have “accident forgiveness” with them.

I guess you'll have to call Progressive and find out what happened.

Unfortunately, Progressive was given a free pass to raise your rates and make more money off of you. Change companies. They are the absolute worst with Geico and Allstate only a hair ahead.

Unfortunately, Progressive was given a free pass to raise your rates and make more money off of you. Change companies. They are the absolute worst with Geico and Allstate only a hair ahead.

What are some companies you’d recommend instead? Happy to shop around.

What are some companies you’d recommend instead? Happy to shop around.

I don't think there is a perfect insurance company and that you need to do your research on coverages and service and claims experiences of others and state consumer laws (before you make a claim). It's not the broker or insurance company's fault, if you don't do the work and understand what you sign and who you signed with. There is more to insurance than price and fancy commercials, when you need the company to handle it correctly with a claim OR renewal (in your case). They are all "for profit" businesses and make decisions to meet that goal.

I carry Erie. They are excellent with coverage and claims and my agent is great to work with on making sure that I have coverages that I need, but that does not mean that you will have the same experience. I agree with a all of the comments on here that you need to find a reputable local broker/agent that has options and will stand behind you when you need them the most.. There are good companies out there.

Also, body shops sell their repair data to Carfax, and to others I'm sure. It is just as likely Progressive got the data this way and not through CLUE. That said, it is definitely worth looking to see if its reported on your MVR or CLUE.

Many insurance departments publish annual rate and complaint comparisons. I'm not finding one on Michigan's insurance department website. You can call them and ask about it.

I live in Michigan and have Progressive auto insurance. In January of this year I was rear ended by another driver. There was very minor damage to my rear bumper and their front and no injuries.

The local police Dept and they said they typically don’t respond to minor situations like this. (Damage less than $1000 and no injuries). So we exchanged info, took pictures, and went on our way.

I got two estimates. The cost to repair my bumper was less than my deductible so I paid out of pocket. I never notified my insurance. I have no idea what the other person did.

This week I got the renewal offer for my insurance and it was suspiciously high. I did a manual quote for myself with my same VIN on progressive.com and it was almost $200 less per 6 months than the renewal. I asked progressive about the discrepancy and they cited a report of “damage” to my car.

Since I was 100% not at fault here, progressive didn’t pay a claim (I paid out of pocket), and frankly didn’t even notify them, can they raise my rates? How did the “damage” even make it into the record if no police report was made and no claim was filed? Is there something I can do to correct this situation? It seems quite unfair that my rates would jump ~30% for being the victim of a minor fender bender and paying out of pocket.

Other party may have filed a Limited Property Damage(ie: Mini Tort) claim against your policy to recover either their deductible, if they had full coverage, or to collect on the damages to their vehicle if they carried no collision coverage. I believe they can collect up to $1,000 from the at fault party.

See if Progressive paid a mini-tort claim. if not, they have a pricing mechanism to charge for not at fault claims & even damage to car not filed on a claim.

Latest posts

Back