Independent AAA Insurance Agency Owner?

Derek I have yet to be appointed with AO in MI. Who do you you write with so far in MI?

Progressive/ASI, State Auto, Safeco, AAA, Grange, Universal P&C, Metlife pilot program for personal lines.

It was sort of a catch-22 with the MI-domiciled carriers which I wanted from the get-go (AO, Fremont, Frankenmuth, Citizens). You can't get them unless you have experience but you can't get experience unless you have carriers to write with. So I'm taking the carriers that I have and running with it. The test quotes (of real people in West Michigan) I got were actually, surprisingly, competitive against the aforementioned carriers, especially on the more standard side.

Also, both Frankenmuth and Auto-Owners are trying to get new agencies that are able to get appointments to sign a contract promising right of first refusal, and make them give 80% of their book to them. Essentially making them captive-ish. Even if they are really freakin' competitive, NO WAY.

Bunch of commercial lines carriers.

My cluster thankfully has a relationship with Fremont which I'm hoping to get in the next year or two. Also a relationship Allstate/Encompass when they start giving more independent appointments this next year. With the changes coming to Michigan auto, I'm hoping some of the big nationals that have a relationship with the cluster, come into Michigan like Travelers, The Hartford, Guard, Liberty, Nationwide, etc. Hoping our cluster can take the head on that and launch in Michigan before they all start to appoint other agencies in town. Want to have that competitive advantage at least for a quick minute.

Last edited:
Back