Shaunni

After completing my P&C course, passing state exam and get my license I plan to start my own independent insurance agency going through multiple insurance companies.

Anyone have any advice or tips on how to do this as a new independent insurance agency?

To get contracts you need to find P&C clusters that is doing business in your area and willing to give you contracts. Most will have some kind of buy in fees and monthly fees.

And most clusters require 1-3 years of experience before they will hand you a contract. Your best bet is to go work for someone a year or so as a producer and learn the business first before going on your own.

Thanks @Mike007 for the advice. Now as a producer, would I more than likely be required to work directly in an office? Or are there companies that would allow me to work outside the office? Like work from home..?

If you are brand new, do you know enough about how this gig works that you would be able to succeed by working from home? You would learn so much faster and more knowledge by working in an office environment, at least in the short term

Thanks @Mike007 for the advice. Now as a producer, would I more than likely be required to work directly in an office? Or are there companies that would allow me to work outside the office? Like work from home..?

It depends on who hired you and how they hired you. If they hired you as a w-2, with an hourly pay or based pay+commissions, you will be at their office.

If they hired you with no hourly pay, no based pay and a 1099 contract, you may be able to do what you want after the training is done.

So it depends on who is hiring you.

After completing my P&C course, passing state exam and get my license I plan to start my own independent insurance agency going through multiple insurance companies.

Anyone have any advice or tips on how to do this as a new independent insurance agency?

Yeah: don't.

Go work at an agency, and learn the industry on someone else's nickle, then decide how and if you want to start your own independent business. This is what most rational people do when they start a business, and how I started my last two. Even most sandwich shop owners work for another sandwich shop before they open their own, and this business is far more complicated than making a sandwich.

I agree with the general consensus. Go work with an agency for at least a year if not two before striking out on your own.

Eventually when you set up your agency you can absolutely do this from home, but there are some challenges to this.

Back