Independent agent

Agent12

Start-up cost for an independent agent? (office equipments, printer(s), fax machine, comp. and laptop, etcs.)

I'm thinking about becoming a independent agent for allstate.

Agent12 said:
Start-up cost for an independent agent? (office equipments, printer(s), fax machine, comp. and laptop, etcs.)

I'm thinking about becoming a independent agent for allstate.

Um... with Allstate you are captive, TTBOMK. You won't be independent... unless they have changed their policy. Also they have allowances (start-up loans) for agents wanting to join their system (State Farm and Farmers and Nationwide do too.)

Call another Allstate office (there is one every few miles) and ask what they pay in rent. As for equipment, if you want to buy new, go to Staples and price it out. Otherwise look on Craigslist and your newspaper for used stuff.

Al

If you're going the office route, I would greatly suggest writing a business plan. It'll force you to consider every expense you'll incur in startup.

From my research, you're looking at $3000-$6000 to get set-up. This includes:

* first month's rent and deposit
* utilities deposit
* sign
* furniture (I highly suggest renting furniture unless you happen to have a huge budget)
* equipment (used electronics are cheap)

I spent $25k+ for the furniture and technology. Spent another $250k on the office condo, but I rented for about 3 years before I moved up to owning.

If you want the basic version you're talking about $10 per sq. ft. as the standard for office rent - depends on your area. I can't see needing more than 1,000 sq. ft. and you can grow if you need to which is $1,000 a month for rent.

Secretary/Admin will run $1,600 a month - again, depending on your area. I'm quoting $10 per hour. I'd actually pay $12 per hour which is the going rate for a good office person.

Office equipment you can price out on your own right online - two computers, fax and printer. Probably looking at $5,000 for everything.

I wouldn't even think about doing this without six months of expenses in the bank plus some. Count on around $25,000.

Allstate does not offer contracts to independent agents. They stopped doing that years ago. The only way you can offer products similar to Allstate as an independent is to write it through Encompass Insurance which is owned by Allstate.

Allstate is not the run of the mill Insurance Company job.
The interviewing process is very strict. I dabbled in P and C several years ago and went to Allstate to see what they offered.

After the initial interview with the DM in the area I had to show a certain amount of money in the bank before the next step would even begin. It was not a drop in the bucket either...

Anyway after that you have to take a couple of personality tests and then do another interview and then they evaluate everything.

I was offered an area with Allstate and this is how they work.

I had to go and get an office (MY EXPENSE)
They would set up all the computers and they still run intranet with their agents and system (THEIR EXPENSE)
They would send me to training for 4 weeks local and 2 weeks in Chicago. They would pay me $8,000 for the training and to get started.

The 1st 3 years they give you a HIGH COMMISSION on policies. Some as high as 30%. This helps build your book and gets money in your pocket quickly.

I decided not to go that route because I wasn't sure I even wanted to do P and C and this was a major committment with no turning back.

I hope this helps.

Um... with Allstate you are captive, TTBOMK. You won't be independent... unless they have changed their policy.
Allstate does not offer contracts to independent agents.
I was an Allstate employee at one time.

They DO in fact have an independent agent (not Encompass) contract. It is NOT well-publicized, or widely used for that matter.

It's usually seen only in very rural markets.

If you want the basic version you're talking about $10 per sq. ft. as the standard for office rent - depends on your area. I can't see needing more than 1,000 sq. ft. and you can grow if you need to which is $1,000 a month for rent.

Secretary/Admin will run $1,600 a month - again, depending on your area. I'm quoting $10 per hour. I'd actually pay $12 per hour which is the going rate for a good office person.

Office equipment you can price out on your own right online - two computers, fax and printer. Probably looking at $5,000 for everything.

I wouldn't even think about doing this without six months of expenses in the bank plus some. Count on around $25,000.

My only queston here, and it may be a dumb one, but why 2 computers? Is this a portability issue or data storage issue, or neither? I ask because I was only planning on buying 1, nobody has ever mentioned 2 to me.

I was wondering what the best route is for securing quote forms for agency websites. I'm creating an independent website and the only thing I can find online is paying $50.00 bucks for each form or some type of monthly fee. I would need a from for Auto, Home, RV, Motorcycle, Boat/Marine.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

[email protected]

Back