Independent Contractor Terms to Watch for

Peety

I will be signing a contract in the next week or so. All seems in order, I have no problems with the non-compete etc. but are qthere any terms I should watch out for or add? For example, commitments to invest in marketing? Is a mediation clause a good idea, in your experience? Language that allows me to make money writing, or lobbying, or in public service?

Thanks very much

I will be signing a contract in the next week or so. All seems in order, I have no problems with the non-compete etc. but are qthere any terms I should watch out for or add? For example, commitments to invest in marketing? Is a mediation clause a good idea, in your experience? Language that allows me to make money writing, or lobbying, or in public service?

Thanks very much

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH:
If you are an independent Contractor, why would you be selling a product or products that are a key factor to the success of the business you're working for? And if this a long term agreement that's another red flag. Independent contractor's usually do small jobs and move on because they work for many different places. EXAMPLES: Carpet Cleaner (in and out see you next month) He goes and works for maybe 30 or 40 different job ventures and does it at his own discression, has his . her own tools and has employees that assist him. His helpers are EMPLOYEES because they do the same job he or she does. Hope this makes sense,

Independent contractors usually don't do what the business that hires them does, so check into that to be sure you're not being misclassified.

Signing a non compete is showing control on your employers part one would think, and when there's control, that usually indicates that you are an employee. If I were an employee they YES I would be ok with the non compete agreement if written within reason but as an Independent Contractor NO!

Do some research to be sure you're doing the right thing and best of luck and success to you... I got caught up in this a while ago and I learned a whole lot about it years after I started.

YOU'RE INDEPENDENT REMEMBER THAT! You're in business for yourself.

Back