Independent & Working a P&C Book of Business

MariIns

I’m currently overseeing the sales production of 20 officeswhose primarily business is P&C. I recently introduce life insurance, andthough I’m personally generating a high volume a business I think with trainingI can get the offices to produce. I’m considering going independent and workingtheir book of business and basing my income on production. Any feedback on thattransition?

I’m currently overseeing the sales production of 20 officeswhose primarily business is P&C. I recently introduce life insurance, andthough I’m personally generating a high volume a business I think with trainingI can get the offices to produce. I’m considering going independent and workingtheir book of business and basing my income on production. Any feedback on thattransition?

If you are working any other agency's P&C books you had better not have any P&C appointments yourself. P&C agents in general are worried about losing their book because of the general volatility of the P&C market, the play for price, and the fact that you have to maintain clients to maintain the business unlike life where after a year you are pretty much good to go. I would also be very clear and succinct in saying you do this for multiple agencies because if you don't and they find out, it could cause an issue of trust or worse. You're there to help, not to cause issues. I know a few P&C owners who won't have someone do something like this because they are afraid of tarnishing relationships and had some life people in the past also move clients to another agency that paid them more per life split.

Not saying you'll do anything like what I mentioned, but P&C owners are very cautious of their book and others getting access to it.

Back