Indiana Agent Needs Help

Patriotagent

Expert
Heres the deal

My client has had it with his group coverage. He just took on a 60% increase in premium.

I'm thinking about writing all 25 employees with an individual carrier and save the guy around $60,000 a year in premiums...... I've pre-screened the group and it's looking good except for a few with some pre-exsistings.

I'm 100% sure I'll provide better insurance then his group can.

Suggestions Please

That's a very fine line to walk....does he plan on paying the claims for people with pre-ex that aren't covered? Have you explored other group alternatives? HSA plans?

Thanks for your reply

Yes I have... most of his employees make $8.50 an hour. He pays 60% of the $589 per employee per month. Indiana does have A Comprehensive health Insurance plan for these types of cases. I have been in touch with them. Told them the situation and they were quite helpful.

I'm just looking for fellow agents who have some experience with this type of case.

In these crazy times the $5.000 a month savings will keep him in business. God only knows what this congress will do in the future:err:

Thanks for your reply

Yes I have... most of his employees make $8.50 an hour. He pays 60% of the $589 per employee per month. Indiana does have A Comprehensive health Insurance plan for these types of cases. I have been in touch with them. Told them the situation and they were quite helpful.

I'm just looking for fellow agents who have some experience with this type of case.

In these crazy times the $5.000 a month savings will keep him in business. God only knows what this congress will do in the future:err:

I'm an Indiana agent as well, and although some others would bash me for saying this, there are other Group alternatives to Anthem.

I happen to have one in mind that could save them money, so feel free to message or email me and I'll give you the details.

Heres the deal

My client has had it with his group coverage. He just took on a 60% increase in premium.

I'm thinking about writing all 25 employees with an individual carrier and save the guy around $60,000 a year in premiums...... I've pre-screened the group and it's looking good except for a few with some pre-exsistings.

I'm 100% sure I'll provide better insurance then his group can.

Suggestions Please

You are opening up a very big can of worms.
With 25 ee's, and, their deps, I'm sure there are MANY un-insureables.
Will each ee pay their own premium? Or, will the employer use an employer check to pay the ind plan premium?
You are on thin ice with your advise to this employer.
Who is steering towards the ind plans? You or the employer?
Personally, I would run fast from this employer.

Will each ee pay their own premium? Or, will the employer use an employer check to pay the ind plan premium?

I've seen a lot of listbills come in from Indiana lately. So this employer is not alone. (When it comes to deciding between reducing benefits even farther to attempt to recoup some of the increase or just giving everyone a raise and letting them purchase their own health insurance - Employer's seem to be going with the latter. And I can't say that I blame them, if it's a matter of saving enough money to keep the doors open - its an obvious decision. As far as the list bill, Indiana has a state plan that isn't bad (compared to others) for the "uninsurables".

***However, before you go down this road - have you looked at Advantage as a last resort group option? (Indiana HMO)

I'll address each point:

Only two have deps. I know hard to believe
Employer check/List bill
No thin Ice here. As We are only looking @ all options. Owner is a close friend who has had it with Anthem/Unicare
I just called ICHI myself
I Don't run from anyone who asks for help!

Thank you for responding
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, I'm not AOR/ nor did I sell him the group plan

He has 50 employees.

Could he just pay each employee $300 bucks a month, let them find their own Insurance?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've seen a lot of listbills come in from Indiana lately. So this employer is not alone. (When it comes to deciding between reducing benefits even farther to attempt to recoup some of the increase or just giving everyone a raise and letting them purchase their own health insurance - Employer's seem to be going with the latter. And I can't say that I blame them, if it's a matter of saving enough money to keep the doors open - its an obvious decision. As far as the list bill, Indiana has a state plan that isn't bad (compared to others) for the "uninsurables".

***However, before you go down this road - have you looked at Advantage as a last resort group option? (Indiana HMO)

Could you pm me with a contact number please

Last edited:
I understand you are trying to help the employer.
Herein lies a potential problem.
1) The employer cx's the group plan
2) You write ind plans on everyone
3) Some will be approved with premium ratings (does Indiana do this?), some declined alltogether.
4) The employer pays the premium

This situation still can be construed as an employer/employee relationship subject to HIPAA laws, and Indiana state law "if any".

Personally, I would not deal with a client like this. Too much potential for liability. Of course, I've been doing this for 32 years and can easily walk away. You are probably more hungry than me. I was there once myself.

If I was forced to deal with this employer, I would tell the employer to give everybody $300/mo and let them do their own thing. End of story.

I would not co-mingle individual plans with employer monies.

Maybe someone from Indiana can give you some better market advise as I'm thousands of miles away and don't know your states laws.

I understand you are trying to help the employer.
Herein lies a potential problem.
1) The employer cx's the group plan
2) You write ind plans on everyone
3) Some will be approved with premium ratings (does Indiana do this?), some declined alltogether.
4) The employer pays the premium

This situation still can be construed as an employer/employee relationship subject to HIPAA laws, and Indiana state law "if any".

Personally, I would not deal with a client like this. Too much potential for liability. Of course, I've been doing this for 32 years and can easily walk away. You are probably more hungry than me. I was there once myself.

If I was forced to deal with this employer, I would tell the employer to give everybody $300/mo and let them do their own thing. End of story.

I would not co-mingle individual plans with employer monies.

Maybe someone from Indiana can give you some better market advise as I'm thousands of miles away and don't know your states laws.

I'm thinking the latter, have him set a price/ let them do their own thing. I told him that last year 2008. But I was to gentle.

I'm not as hungry as I once was, I do alot of Life with wealthy individuals and have a very good base. I only write individual major med via a "ref" or GG leads:twitchy:

Back