Indiana to Idaho Med Supp Question

HoosierLife

Automate Appointments https://agentautopilot.com
5000 Post Club
I have a friend that's T 65. He wants to get a Medicare supplement but he is moving to Idaho in less than six months.

How would that work? Would his rates be based on his Indiana ZIP Code when I sign him up, but change when he moves to Idaho?

Should I place him with a company that has good rates in Idaho and Indiana or suggest he waits until he moves to Idaho?

Med supps do not change rates when the customer moves. They are permanently based on their zip at issue. However there are times when the person is better off buying another one if the area they moved to offers better rates.

I would rewrite him in Idaho if it is less, but I would write him now in case he had a heart attack or major health issue which could cost him thousands in the meantime.

Well I will probably place him with CSI or Medico. Do either of those companies change rates if they move to a new zip?

Well I will probably place him with CSI or Medico. Do either of those companies change rates if they move to a new zip?

I've not had a client move with Medico yet and never written CSI, so I wouldn't know. I can tell you though that it's definitely not typical and I personally don't know of any that do (Omaha/aetna/UHC are three that dont off the top of my head).

I have a friend that's T 65. He wants to get a Medicare supplement but he is moving to Idaho in less than six months.

How would that work? Would his rates be based on his Indiana ZIP Code when I sign him up, but change when he moves to Idaho?

Should I place him with a company that has good rates in Idaho and Indiana or suggest he waits until he moves to Idaho?

I had a similar situation. If memory serves me right, the carrier adjusted premium to the new zip code when they moved...

When shopping for them, I just told them we'd find a carrier competitive in both zip codes.

I think it was CSI, too, who said rate adjustments would be based on new zip. Don't quote me on it though... it's still the weekend :)

I have a friend that's T 65. He wants to get a Medicare supplement but he is moving to Idaho in less than six months. How would that work? Would his rates be based on his Indiana ZIP Code when I sign him up, but change when he moves to Idaho? Should I place him with a company that has good rates in Idaho and Indiana or suggest he waits until he moves to Idaho?
It does depend on carrier. I had a MoO client move to a new state and her premium was adjusted--upward--to the new zip. I have had many with Aetna CLI relocate and all of them have kept the price they got at issue. In most cases their premium would have gone up if they would have been adjusted, so Aetna's policy helped them. In a couple of cases the premium would have been lower in the zip, so I rewrote them as underwritten to get the new rate.

I had one recent T65 case where the client was moving to a new, more expensive, state in July, but not turning 65 until October. Not sure whether I could write her in June and get the lower rate with Aetna given that she'd be in her new state when it took effect, I called agent services. They had no problem with an issued but not yet in force policy keeping the lower rate.

I am contracted with Medico but never wrote a med supp for them, and not contracted with CSI, so can't be helpful with these specific carriers.

I've not had a client move with Medico yet and never written CSI, so I wouldn't know. I can tell you though that it's definitely not typical and I personally don't know of any that do (Omaha/aetna/UHC are three that dont off the top of my head).

Well, you're wrong on at least two of those. If MoO offers coverage in the new state the person moves to, then rates will adjust to the new zip code. Same for UHC (AARP). I have this happen on three occasions with MoO and two with UHC.

I would think that someone who recruits other agents would know this stuff. Or at least they should.

----------

It does depend on carrier. I had a MoO client move to a new state and her premium was adjusted--upward--to the new zip. I have had many with Aetna CLI relocate and all of them have kept the price they got at issue. In most cases their premium would have gone up if they would have been adjusted, so Aetna's policy helped them. In a couple of cases the premium would have been lower in the zip, so I rewrote them as underwritten to get the new rate.

I had one recent T65 case where the client was moving to a new, more expensive, state in July, but not turning 65 until October. Not sure whether I could write her in June and get the lower rate with Aetna given that she'd be in her new state when it took effect, I called agent services. They had no problem with an issued but not yet in force policy keeping the lower rate.

I am contracted with Medico but never wrote a med supp for them, and not contracted with CSI, so can't be helpful with these specific carriers.

I had this come up with CLI where the client moved to a lower rated zip code within the same state. CLI said he'd have to complete a new app in order to get the lower rate.

Well, you're wrong on at least two of those. If MoO offers coverage in the new state the person moves to, then rates will adjust to the new zip code. Same for UHC (AARP). I have this happen on three occasions with MoO and two with UHC. I would think that someone who recruits other agents would know this stuff. Or at least they should. ---------- I had this come up with CLI where the client moved to a lower rated zip code within the same state. CLI said he'd have to complete a new app in order to get the lower rate.
Agree on Mutual. Rate changes on move. On Aetna it sounds like I didn't say it well. Like you, I have had to rewrite cases where the client moves to a lower premium zip to get the lower premium.

Back